Hello from Buffalo NY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ypsetihw

Reaction score
I everyone, new to brewing and this forum. Decided to join after much reading of the archives here. Very helpful!

I just bottled my first batch a couple days ago, started with a partial mash English IPA recipe. It finished a little early, only 4 days, but the gravity was right so I bottled it. Hope it turns out well, can't wait to start tweaking my own recipes.

Welcome to the madness! Half my family lives in that town and Tonawanda! The rest of us enjoy sunny California!
I use 21 days at 64-68*f for that style, let us know how it turns out...

Yeah I'm aging it around 72 because that's the coolest dark spot I have, how are you all getting it down into the 60s? I dont have a basement or swamp cooler and the fridge is obviously too cold, ideas?

Welcome from a fellow Buffalonian (technically a Town of Tonawandan)! Hope you're taking the heat well, my currently fermenting beer is trying its best to keep its composure. I live in a duplex that doesn't have any central cooling, so I jury-rigged a swamp cooler to bring the temp down to 73-75 deg.

Since your beer is already bottled, you should be fine keeping it at 72.

Summer brewing is difficult here too (Sacramento). I have used frozen one and two liter bottles in a water bath around a carboy. take temperature readings of the water bath and cycle them from freezer. Get at least 4 frozen before you pitch. First 4 days are the most critical.

Well unfortunately I can't go tying up the sink for 5 days with floating ice bottles . . .

Wonder if I can find an old fridge for cheap and set it on uber low, maybe even rig my own thermo

That's what I did, lowered the temp about 5-10 degrees below ambient, even with strong fermentation. Temp is still really high (using California Lager yeast), but not crazy.

Hello from a fellow buffalo native actually Amherst,just use a swamp cooler freeze bottles of water and use those as ice packs replace one or 2 every 12 hrs or so. Hope that helps

before I converted a freezer I used the frozen water bottles too.

If you want to meet some other home brewers stop by Gene McCarthy's 3rd monday of the month @ 7:30 for the Sultans meeting. Bring some samples for tasting!

Latest posts

Back