hello from alaska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeak

Reaction score
hello this is scott from fairbanks, alaska. i just started brewing this winter. i suppose i have always been interested in brewing but never took the leap. i have a friend in kenai alaska who homebrews and i figured if he could do it...

at this time i have only been doing extracts and partial mash. i have read papizian and palmer and then have spent a bit of time on this forum and others. watch clips on youtube as well. it seems taking advantage of others expertise makes the difference when you start. it truly is a hobby you can appreciate. my wife actually became interested in it as well. she was more into to once we started the process. so now we are trying more chick beers as she would say eg-wheat blueberry. that is what is happening today. we already have done a stout, a choc coffee stout (both bottled) and i did what i would call a heavy ale or old ale bottled and gave out to some friends who like it. i am partial to a session beer like an apa. i have a single keg set up now from old sanke comml parts when i had to buy someone elses stuff. we want to be able to bottle and keg so we can give stuff away for critique.

The problem here in ak is the shipping on stuff. hardware and grainware. still this summer i want to be able to do all grains outside. The idea of making a fine pint of brew from actual start is the best.

i never really understood but there is a bit of pride knowing you can make a decent beer that you enjoy and you dont have to stand in line at the store for commercial swill. thanks, scott:mug:

Can YOU see Russia??? :D

Welcome...You will find that there are a hand full of Alaskans on here...MikeFlynn74 is one, and he's a nice guy. He should be able to hook you up with who he uses...if he doesn't stagger in here, hunt him down and send him a private message.

:mug:

hey jnoffsker

so do you frequent the supply store on artic blvd there anc? i believe its arctic brewing supply. i see they have quite a few items. there are a couple stores here in fairbanks but they dont have a full line of stuff. i have found all the stores online but the shipping will kill you outright. thats the price for being so close to russia i guess.

i really am trying to find a couple 5 gal kegs. i have one old sanke now that i use but i was hoping to find a couple more cornys. all the local distrub. hubs dont know where to get them and the few that i found at the hb stores are about 85 for a single set up. i have the plumbing, just need the kegs. any thoughts?

so i brewed the blueberry wheat for my wife last night. the chiller rocked. tonight i am doing a honey ale.

ok later. scott.

I'm in Anchorage and I'll be going by Arctic Brewing tomorrow. I know they have cornies but I can't remember how much they're getting. I'll check on the price and let you know if you want. I know what you mean on shipping. If you can find a place that will mail stuff it isn't too bad, but most places outside seem like they want to ship UPS and it really is expensive to Alaska. I managed to buy most of my cornies from guys on ebay, but again, you have to find the ones that will mail them.

Welcome to HBT. The last time I was in Fairbanks I was drivin into town and stopped at a gas station went into pay and they had a great selection of micros and a little homebrew shop next door.Don't remember the name but I thought that was wild to find on vacation.

Arctic Brew supply in anchorage sells korny kegs for $60. You might also try craigslist - someone in eagle river was selling them for 50 a piece a few months ago.

Ahoy hoy,
Welcome to the board. Lots of good info on here. Ive been brewing all grain all winter in my kitchen. While I will switch to brewing outside once breakup hits, summers just too short to save all grain brewing for it only. In fact, Im about to do a 10 gallon batch, which is the total bear indoors, this weekend. It will take a bit of work, but it can be done. It took a little trial and error to come up with a good workable indoor plan, but Ive got it down to a fine art now. And since the wife dont care since I make her HER special beer, and the kid helps, its a family thing.
Nice to see someone else in the interior on here. Theres a few, but as like everything up here, far between. Again, if you have any questions about obtaining supplys locally, send me a private msg and Ill let you in on the little info there is. Welcome home!
I bid all a great day!

chicompany.net

they have single and double handle cornies, and sell them cheap in packs of four, eight, etc...also, they will ship USPS to alaska, which is HUGE!!! I just bought a pack of four, and delivered to Fairbanks they were about $30 each, with a gasket kit for each.

Former Wasilla resident here. Welcome to the site and the obsession of homebrewing.

Im a not to distant future Juneau resident. welcome to the party...guess this answers my question about how much of my stuff to bring with me.... all of it.

Back