Hello Fellow Beer Geeks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillGoatse

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on the forum, but I've only just got back into brewing after a 10 year hiatus after I moved to London from Australia, and London apartments don't have the space for brewing! I've now moved to the suburbs into a house with a shed that has been converted into a bar in my garden, so all signs are pointing to brewing!

I'm hopefully getting a Grainfather for Christmas, as that will be the thing to make all grain brewing easy enough for me to enjoy. Then perhaps I'll try and put together a keezer if things go well.

I'm hoping people can give me some advice as I’m going to try an extract & partial mash of a super hoppy American Pale Ale. To save effort and money I’m going to buy a kilo of Falconer’s Flight 7Cs hops, I should be OK to use them alone as they’re a hybrid of 7 hops, and I’ve heard good things about them, I think I should be good with the hop profile as my favourite beers are West Coast IPAs/APAs.

I’m going for a malty profile with the beer around 5.5%, not too bitter at around 50 IBUs and a massive hoppy hit, so I’m going for the below recipe with hopefully 28 litres ending up in the fermenter.

Fermentables:
3.5kgs of liquid light malt extract
1kgs of Pale Ale Malt
500gms of Vienna Malt
500gms of Wheat malt
500gms of Munich malt

I’ll steep the grain in about 8 litres of water for 60 mins at around 67 degrees C

Hops which are all Falconer’s Flight 7Cs with 9.1 AA%

30gm @ 60 min for 10.43 IBUs
30gm @ 20 mins for 6.32 IBUs
40gm @ 10 mins for 5.04 IBUs
40gm @ 1 mins for .60 IBUs
90gm whirlpool for 20 mins @ 80 C for 29.25 IBUs
100gm dry dry hop for 7 days

I’ll use Mangrove Jack US West Coast Yeast M44 and ferment for a week at 19C before putting the dry hops in for another week

I’ve never done a whirlpool before, but all my reading seems to suggest that it’s the best way to get an extremely hoppy beer. So I will cool the wort to 80 C then throw the 90gm of hops and stir the wort for 20 minutes, I assume that’s how you do it?

So overall what do you think of the recipe, should this be extremely hoppy without being overly bitter? For the record, I’ve never had any beer that’s too hoppy, so the more the merrier for me. So feel free to criticise or recommend changes!

Cheers,

I love the whole English shed thing - they do that in Scandinavia, too. So great!

Recipe looks good. Did you run it through brewing software to see if your recipe will lead to the numbers, especially the 50 IBUs, you want?

And welcome back to the hobby and to HBT!

Hi, thanks for the message. Yes, I used brewers friend to get my calculations, I was surprised that the whirpool provided so many IBUs, and when I changed the whirlpool from 20 minutes to 10, it didn't change the IBU, which seemed strange to me?

You have to change the utilization percentage to affect IBUs in Brewer's Friend. Whirlpools cause hop aroma to increase, but it won't increase bitterness the same way early-addition hops might. Whirlpools add that "juicy" flavor.

Mid-boil hops aren't wasted, by any means, but if you want a modern juicy IPA, try this next time:

27g for 60 minutes.
After the boil, drop your wort to 77° C, then add the rest of the 203g, cover the kettle tight, and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Instead of dry-hopping 100g for seven days, dry hop 50g for five days, then add the other 50g, and let it sit another two days.

Once CO2 conditioned correctly, this will explode with hop flavor.

Back