Hoppy Lager/ Italian Pilsner/ European Cold IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 336313

Reaction score
Hi all,

I´m planning to brew a new beer next week. A hoppy lager. Maybe like an Italian pilsner. So: light, golden, fresh, European hops (dry-hop too.) I guess you could also call it a European Cold IPA? Anyway, it´s going to be a 1000 liters, so the recipe needs to be good. Something nice for spring and summer. What do you guys think of the following...

ABV 4,5%
FG 1,008 or 2.1 P
IBU 26
BU/GU 0,62

Pilsner malt 69,8%
Vienna malt 11,6%
Flaked corn 11,6%
Dextrin malt 7%

Maisch: strike 154 Fahrenheit

Hops @ 60 minutes boil: Magnum
Hops in whirlpool 208 Fahrenheit: Strisslespalt
Hops in whirlpool 208 Fahrenheit: Hallertau Mittelfrueh
Hops in whirlpool 194 Fahrenheit: Tettnang
Dry-hop: Styrian Goldings

Yeast: Fermentis S-189

That´s it!

Only question I have is your whirlpool temp. 208f is dang near boiling . You will extract a decent amount of bitterness at that temp. What IBU are you shooting for?

Only question I have is your whirlpool temp. 208f is dang near boiling . You will extract a decent amount of bitterness at that temp. What IBU are you shooting for?
I actually had the same thought, thanks for bringing it up. You can approximate the IBU contribution using the following formula (which I developed):

IBU = grams * AA% * sqrt(2*HStime) / V / 7.5

where
each hop amount is entered in grams
V is post-boil volume in liters, and
HStime is post-boil hop stand time in minutes where it hangs around between about 65-90 C (150-195 F). (At 208 F, maybe just round up a wee bit.)

Calculate for each hop addition then add them together.

You can use almost the same formula for the 60-minute boil hop addition, except change the factor of 2 in parentheses to about 4.6 (I am still honing this down but it's in that ballpark) and use the Boiltime instead of HStime.

I brew 96 gallons at a time . The op is talking over 260 gallons . When brewing batches, this large hop utilization comes into account. However, the OP might have already done that.

Looking at your formula , it looks like your figuring out the hop utilization by minutes it takes to get under that temp of AA extraction.

Could you post an example . Math is definitely not my strong suit

That looks excellent. Enjoy it. S-189 is a great yeast.

I would not call it a Cold IPA. I would just call it a tasty noble-dry-hopped pilsner.

Prost!

Thanks man! And yes, that sounds better, the style name.

Yes, I included those metrics in the formula. (By which I mean: the Brewfather algorythm did.) Should hit 26 IBU with this.

Could you post an example . Math is definitely not my strong suit
Let's say we're going to use 28 grams of a 6% alpha acid hop in 19 liters, steeping in the hot whirlpool about 190 F for say 18 minutes. The IBU extraction of that per my formula looks like this:

IBU = grams * AA% * sqrt(2*HStime) / V / 7.5

= 28 * 6 * sqrt(36) / 19 / 7.5

= 168 * 6 / 19 / 7.5

= 7.1 IBU, from that one addition.

Repeat for each hop addition, then add them up.

Almost no flavor. I've brewed a few lawn mower beers that used corn and there's a flavor nuance I would attribute to the corn. Not dominant, but there - and actually appreciated considering the style. I suspect the dextrin malt is there to put body back considering corn has no backbone :)

Cheers!

I'm curious on the corn and dextrin malt. Seems like a way to add sugar without flavor. I'm a huge fan of pilsner malt, so I'm just curious why they're in there.

I was thinking a little extra body. The corn might make it quite thin. Not based on expecience though.

Looks similar to the Austrian Pils that I brewed, however I didn't use any corn.

For my hops I used Magnum (60 min boil), Select Spalt (10 min boil), and Saphir (dry hopped).

The beer was similar to Stiegl Pils.

I am also thinking about brewing an Italian Pilsner for the first time this weekend. For hops, I was thinking about Warrior for bittering (60 minute boil), Spalt for flavour (10 min boil) and Saphir for dry hopping (some during fermentation and some during lagering). How much hops should I use at each stage and how long should I dry hop during fermentation? For mashing I was planning on just Pilsner plus a small bit of Carapils for head retention - just a simple recipe, or would a little bit of Munich give it a little more body? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back