Heirloom Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Read an article about some distillers using heirloom varieties of corn in their bourbon.
https://flaviar.com/blog/bourbon-and-corn

Has anyone sourced any of this and made a cream ale or even an American lager with it to see if the flavor comes through like they say it does in the whiskey?
I know some heirloom malt has made it's way into the market.

From the article -
In the case of Bloody Butcher corn we extract sweet dark berry flavors."

"For Purple corn we find an array of baking spices ranging from cinnamon to clove. Floriani is strange, with spice similar to cayenne but other flavors that fall more in an umami category and dark chocolate notes. Magic Manna smells and tastes like fresh baked sugar cookies and Oaxacan Green has Jalapeño spice and cocoa notes.”

I'd be game to try some different types of corn. I have used the flaked stuff, popcorn, field corn, corn meal, corn flakes cereal. They all have been fairly similar in flavor.

I'd be game to try some different types of corn. I have used the flaked stuff, popcorn, field corn, corn meal, corn flakes cereal. They all have been fairly similar in flavor.
That's probably because, aside from the popcorn, those are all the same exact corn.

Back