Heineken yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This should be in fermentation/yeast forum. dont know how to delete or move it.
Moved to Fermentation & Yeast Forum.

If you made an error in posting you can't edit/fix, simply use the [Report] button on the bottom of your post, to inform the Mods, so we can act on it. It's all good now.

Anyone know the yeast they use for their lager. Or closest strain if its proprietary

Lager yeasts are close to each other in the sense that they are supposed to be clean. Does Heineken have a certain flavor, sulphur or apple? If it is clean, then you could probably use any lager strain.

Don't know if they still use it but they used to harp on about the "A-yeast" and back a long time ago used to supply a lot of other breweries with yeast.

i think though something like w34/70 will get you close though

Don't have an answer to your question, but WLP815 Belgian Lager, WY2042-PC are two seasonal yeast that produce a clean beer with less sulfur taste/aroma than most German lager yeasts. WLP850 Copenhagen Lager also produces a clean beer.

If you are looking for that skunky aroma try some late additions of Hallertau Mittelfruh.

Don't have an answer to your question, but WLP815 Belgian Lager, WY2042-PC are two seasonal yeast that produce a clean beer with less sulfur taste/aroma than most German lager yeasts. WLP850 Copenhagen Lager also produces a clean beer.

I agree, I was going to recommend 2042.

Skunk comes from leaving your bottles out in bright sunlight for about 15 minutes. That's easy.

Ive been on a lager kick lately. I use 34/70 for my Vienna and my light/flaked corn lager. I like how clean they come out with a light sulfur note.
But I had a really good lager that had a distinct taste similar to henieken. Apple would be the closest descriptor
The danish lager strain wy2042 was going to be my guess as well but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure

Last edited:
Back