Heineken, Grolsch, Amstel, & Other Dutch Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

After completing my first APA recipe I was debating the next crack I'm going to take at a recipe, and my wives love for Dutch beers came to mind. I'd like to put something together with that profile, I've noticed many of the Dutch styles, even the lesser name ones we had in Amsterdam carried skunky notes. I don't really care to clone any of these, but was curious if anyone may know certain ingredients and/or processes that make up a quality Dutch beer. Any input will be appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Heinie and Grolsch are both packaged in green bottles, which allow skunking of the hops. Some people like that. So, brew up a European lager, put it in green bottles, and leave them in the sun for a few hours. That should do the trick.

Yes, but even the versions in cans have a slight skunk to them. This flavor can be created with the right yeast and the right hops (can't recall which). Also, if you could ferment in a keg under pressure you might be able to get some of the sulfur produced during fermentation to not blow away and be carried over into the final product.

I seem to remember something about Heinie being brewed at higher gravity and watered down, this produces a different flavor than you'd get normally. BYO had a clone at one point.

Back