Hefeweizen yeast loses flavor after multiple gnerations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
I've noticed a post here or there about how hefe yeast loses flavor after a couple re-uses, and I was wondering what people thought about this? I recently brewed a hefe, and it turned out so great I want to make it my house beer, but I don't want to do that if I have to buy yeast every other batch. I'm most interested in WLP300, but I'd like to hear results on other weizen yeasts as well.

There are too many factors to definitively say if your yeast cake would suffer from permutations resulting in flavor changes. These factors include fermentation temperature control, O2 levels, nutrition, etc. The only real way to tell is to go ahead and test it out yourself.

If you're not looking to experiment with that, I suggest pulling part of the yeast cake from the first batch, washing the yeast and using that every other batch. Taking and washing as you go. You'll always have free, fresh yeast to pitch into your new House Hefe.

I agree with tedski. I also agree, though, that my own hefe yeasts have definitely trended toward American Wheat flavors after three or more uses. Why not rinse all the yeast from your last batch? That'd give you enough for two or three second generation batches, and then nine or ten third generation batches? By the time your done with all that hefe you'll be bored of the style.

I think the problem is with how the yeast is harvested selects specific yeast and pitching rates differ. By trying to get a diverse sample of the cake and pitching lower than normal rates I've had my hefes as good or better with further generations.

Back