Hefeweizen with a low level head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
Hello
I have brewed a hefeweizen recently using the WB-06 dry yeast. This is my second time using this yeast, and it has worked out well so far. On my first attempt, I had use 50% wheat and 50% 2-row. 10 lbs malt total. The head of that brew was creamy and good.

This time, I used around 62% wheat with remaining being 2-row, 8.5 lbs malt total. The beer is now bottled and well carbonated. This time, it seems that my yeast is settling out faster. The head is also not as fluffy as before: It rises up in the initial pour, but the head fades quickly to almost nothing. What remains on top of the beer is white curdling.

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening, and how I can improve head retention in a wheat beer?

Thank you

A head that drops quickly is usually a result of soap on the glass.

I always rinse the glass in cold water before pouring the beer into it. Do not dry it with a towel because there's soap on it also. Just shake the water off or dry the outside up to the middle of the glass. Leave the insides and the rim alone. :D

I have similar problem with my weizen. I blame prolonged primary fermentation (5 weeks in my case).

I have similar problem with my weizen. I blame prolonged primary fermentation (5 weeks in my case).

That wouldn't hurt head retention with any beer, much less a wheat based one.

How long have you had it in bottles? You need it bottled for up to 21 days for the carbonation to be correct.

It's been 28 days now since bottling

I opened another one yesterday (regularly 1-2 everyday), and this time I rinse the glass well. The head held up for a while. There was good lacing too, but the head eventually falls and end up in curds. I am wondering if that is normal...

Back