Hefeweizen: Step Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I normally brew British ales, but I need to brew a Hefeweizen for a friend's party. So, I ordered the Bavarian Hefeweizen kit from Northern Brewer. The mash schedule included with the kit shows a step mash schedule as the first option. Is this necessary? I can easily do this, but will it make a better beer?

To get all this classy clove aroma - yes, you have to mash with ferulic acid rest at 107F (at least 40 mins to get two-fold increase of aroma intensity).

To get all this classy clove aroma - yes, you have to mash with ferulic acid rest at 107F (at least 40 mins to get two-fold increase of aroma intensity).

I think the directions are to do a 122F rest and then a 149F and 158F rest.

According to "Brewing with Wheat," even 15-20 minutes at (ferulic) acid rest temps will give a very significant increase to the clove phenol precursors. A short protein rest (122 or so) may help with a longer lasting cloudiness, if that's something you desire, but it's not necessary with a well modified malt.

GuldTuborg said:
According to "Brewing with Wheat," even 15-20 minutes at (ferulic) acid rest temps will give a very significant increase to the clove phenol precursors. A short protein rest (122 or so) may help with a longer lasting cloudiness, if that's something you desire, but it's not necessary with a well modified malt.

Is there a way to promote banana other than ferm temps?

Is there a way to promote other than ferm temps?

Those are mash temps.

Most hefe yeasts can be pushed more to one end or the other of banana/clove with ferment temps, too. Colder for clove and warmer for banana, with ~64-66 being a good balance in my experience.

step mashes help on all grain as they help prevent stuck mashes. a primarily wheat recipe will get stuck bigtime

dwarven_stout said:
Those are mash temps.

Most hefe yeasts can be pushed more to one end or the other of banana/clove with ferment temps, too. Colder for clove and warmer for banana, with ~64-66 being a good balance in my experience.

I'm aware those are mash temps, and also aware that you can promote banana by fermenting warmer, which is why I was asking if there's an additional way :)

lumpher said:
a primarily wheat recipe will get stuck bigtime

Not always... I made a single-step Berliner Weisse using 2/3rds wheat, 1/3rd pilsner, and had no issues.

I'm aware those are mash temps, and also aware that you can promote banana by fermenting warmer, which is why I was asking if there's an additional way :)

Mm. Your post sounded like you were about to go ferment a hefe at 106 degrees, and I wanted to stop that from happening. :p

Step mashing and ferm temps are the only techniques that I personally have run across to get more of either banana or clove, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else. I'd be interested in learning... I just did a hefe yesterday and plan to do two more this weekend.

...and yeah, for anyone batch sparging in a cooler like I do, stuck mashes are virtually a phantom bogeyman. I guess I haven't tried 100% malt oats, but 70% wheat in one beer and 50% rye in another with no rice hulls gave me no trouble.

Is there a way to promote other than ferm temps?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't follow you. Is there a way to promote what, exactly?

I guess I haven't tried 100% malt oats, but 70% wheat in one beer and 50% rye in another with no rice hulls gave me no trouble.

Malted oats have husks, so you'd be fine with that.:mug:

I'm impressed that you got up to 70% wheat with no problems running off. I can't say I've tried more than 25-30% rye or wheat without rice hulls. Was it even slow to run off, or did you see no meaningful difference at all draining the tun?

What kind of equipment are you using? If it's a cooler mash tun I recommend mash in at 122 then boil up more water and raise to 153. Then proceed with lauter. I did this for my last batch and made a great hefe. If not step try decoction, hell imm doin a decoction hefewiezen tomorrow. Happy brewing

GuldTuborg said:
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't follow you. Is there a way to promote what, exactly?

Jerk!

:) Just kidding, of course you're not being difficult. I somehow skipped the most important word in the sentence - banana! As in, is there a way to promote banana flavor OTHER than with ferm temps?

I did a hefe with a 15 min step at 122, then 60 at 152. Tapped it last night and man is it good! Very similar to a Bavarian wheat(like Franziskoner). The color is dead on and the cloudyness is pretty close. I am going to stick with a 2 step.

banana! As in, is there a way to promote banana flavor OTHER than with ferm temps?

That's a bit more difficult. I honestly don't know. I'd look into getting the right strain and hitting the right fermentation temps. Some strains seem to favor certain flavors. I forget which one throws off the most banana, but it shouldn't be tough to find out which is which.

Or you could ask the real expert, this guy::ban:

I wish he'd stop that stupid dance and answer our question, though.:mad:

I just 10 minutes ago kegged a hefe that I brewed with a single decoction mash:

1) Mash in at 130˚F for protein degradation rest for 15 minutes
2) Infuse to 152˚F saccrification rest for 45 minutes
3) Decoct and boil for 10 minutes then return to mash
4) Rest for 10 minute mash-out at 170˚F

Then I fly sparged and lautered as normal. The grist was 60% wheat malt so I used a lb of rice hulls on the suggestion from my LHBS, although, I don't think I will use them next time I do this brew. I hit my targets right on... 1.052 OG for 6 gallons at the end of a 90 minute boil.

I fermented in my basement which, here in Michigan, when I pitched and brought the carboy down was at 63˚-64˚F. Then the weather turned all November and four days later I looked and it was 52˚ down there! It was fermenting away like crazy despite the cooler temps so I took a sample for gravity readings when the kreusen fell and it was under-attenuated at 1.019 SG. To try to help the yeast finish out their ferment, I brought the carboy upstairs where it is 72˚ almost constantly. Fairly steady activity in the airlock after that and when I kegged her today, she was at the target 1.011 TG!

As far as the flavor, I can tell that this is going to taste IDENTICAL to the Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier I was trying to mimic. Got it in the fridge on the gas as I type. I can't say that the step/decoction mash had any positive or negative effects on the brew. I will know all about it when it's carbed and at serving temp. I do know that it is perfectly cloudy and the flavor profile is dead nuts - spicy clove with a hint of banana and well attenuated and fairly dry.

On the Jamil Show podcast, JZ recommends a ferment temp cooler than intuition would suggest. He suggests in the 62˚-63˚F range for the bulk of fermentation. I obviously don't have any control over the ferment temp in my brewery, but I will say that Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast is THE ONLY Bavarian hefe yeast to use.

I did the Hefeweizen this morning with the mash temps of 122F, 149F, and 158F with a mashout at 170F. I mash in a SS pot so adding heat is easy. Time will tell how this turns out. I did notice the wheat malt seemed finer than barley malt. However, I didn't have any additional difficulties with the lautering. I'll update everyone how this tastes when I give this a try in about a month!

headfullahops said:
As far as the flavor, I can tell that this is going to taste IDENTICAL to the Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier I was trying to mimic. Got it in the fridge on the gas as I type. I can't say that the step/decoction mash had any positive or negative effects on the brew. I will know all about it when it's carbed and at serving temp. I do know that it is perfectly cloudy and the flavor profile is dead nuts - spicy clove with a hint of banana and well attenuated and fairly dry.

On the Jamil Show podcast, JZ recommends a ferment temp cooler than intuition would suggest. He suggests in the 62˚-63˚F range for the bulk of fermentation. I obviously don't have any control over the ferment temp in my brewery, but I will say that Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast is THE ONLY Bavarian hefe yeast to use.

Hmmm, I guess I might have to disagree by default if it tastes exactly like Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier, as I'm not particularly a fan of it. The flavors that make weizen such an interesting style are just way too subtle for my liking in that particular beer.

I did the Hefeweizen this morning with the mash temps of 122F, 149F, and 158F with a mashout at 170F.

Question: for the mashout, can you sparge with 170F water right from the rest, or should you infuse to 170F, THEN sparge?

Back