svbs or 3 vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwall429

Reaction score
Hey,
Assuming i’m prepared to spend whatever necessary to jump with both feet back into this hobby! What systems would you recommend? I want to be able to brew 40 lb mashes if necessary and do step mashing as well. I have a large 6 keg kegerator but need to up my game to fill that bad boy while not having 6+ hour brew days… I’ve seen a spike 15gal 3 vessel on facebook marketplace for 5k but not sure if there are better/ cheaper options! Would prefer to brew inside as well..
Thanks in advance for your input!

If you want to do 40 lb mashes, you probably need to go two or three vessel. I don't know if there are any AIOs that can handle that much grain, and if there are, the choices will be limited. A 40 lb grain bill mashed with 1.25 qt/lb will have a volume of 15.5 - 16 gal, so even a 15 gal mash tun is not big enough for this much grain. A full volume mash (no sparge) for 40 lb of grain will occupy about 19 gal.

Brew on :mug:

If you want to do 40 lb mashes, you probably need to go two or three vessel. I don't know if there are any AIOs that can handle that much grain, and if there are, the choices will be limited. A 40 lb grain bill mashed with 1.25 qt/lb will have a volume of 15.5 - 16 gal, so even a 15 gal mash tun is not big enough for this much grain. A full volume mash (no sparge) for 40 lb of grain will occupy about 19 gal.

Brew on :mug:
Yeah you’re right I misspoke when I mentioned AIO systems., 30 lbs seems a little more realistic as well.. So I was looking at Spike Solo 15, Breweasy 15-20 or a spike 3 vessel…

I used to have a 3 vessel system and switched to a Grainfather G40 (since I only do 5 & 10 gallon batches). I would never go back to a 3 vessel system (unless I went pro). The ease of doing everything (mash and boil) in a singe vessel is so convenient. Having an electric system with a brain makes hitting your mash temps and even step mashing feel like you're cheating. Clean up is so much easier. Finally, storing a single vessel is obviously much easier. If a G70 meets your grain bill/volume requirements, I would highly recommend it since it is just a larger version of the G40 I have.

I'm a 3-vessel brewer, but this question is almost uniformly answered here in favor of AIO or modular BIAB. I'd choose the latter to improve maintainability. Spike Solo is one choice. The BIAB systems Bobby assembles at brewhardware.com are definitely worth serious consideration too.

Last edited:
You mention 40LB mashes, but not what batch size you're wanting to apply that to. I'm assuming high ABV 10 gallon batches.

Any of these can be made in 20 gallon or 30 gallon kettles and none of them take more than 4 hours for a brew day as long as you're not combining a crazy step mash and 90+ minute boil.

1699592850125.png

30G kettles with a max of 15 gallon batches is the limit for eBIAB in my opinion but across the spectrum of 3-15g batch sizes, I'm all in on eBIAB as a process/system for its consistency, price, and simplicity.

Check more beer, you can get a 17g robobrew 3.1.1 with an extention and the bigger malt pipe for under 6 bills. You can't beat 20 gal capacity anywhere on the planet for the price right now.

I have both. A 3 vessel 15 gallon electric HERMS from High Gravity Brewing and an SS Brewtech SVBS. I like them both and use them both. The 3 vessel rig is in the garage but with Michigan weather I used to be forced to close that one down from about November until March. I bought an Anvil Foundry 10.5 so that I could brew indoors in the winter and while that goal was achieved I was not satisfied with the Foundry. So I sold it and ordered the SVBS as soon as it was announced and pre-orders made available. I've had it nearly two years now and love it.

Check more beer, you can get a 17g robobrew 3.1.1 with an extention and the bigger malt pipe for under 6 bills. You can't beat 20 gal capacity anywhere on the planet for the price right now.
That is a deal, but honestly after trying out a mere 12 gallon boil on it, the unit is flat out under powered in my opinion. It barely breaks 211F at 12 gallons and takes a long time to get there too.

You mention 40LB mashes, but not what batch size you're wanting to apply that to. I'm assuming high ABV 10 gallon batches.

Any of these can be made in 20 gallon or 30 gallon kettles and none of them take more than 4 hours for a brew day as long as you're not combining a crazy step mash and 90+ minute boil.

View attachment 833530

30G kettles with a max of 15 gallon batches is the limit for eBIAB in my opinion but across the spectrum of 3-15g batch sizes, I'm all in on eBIAB as a process/system for its consistency, price, and simplicity.
Yeah! I want to be 15% plus stouts, Double IPAs and step mashed german beers! Considering a 20 gallon system.
What are I looking at all in for you’re tank edition system with all the bells’ Maximum laziness and brewing indoors so i’ll need something for the steam…

Yeah! I want to be 15% plus stouts, Double IPAs and step mashed german beers! Considering a 20 gallon system.
What are I looking at all in for you’re tank edition system with all the bells’ Maximum laziness and brewing indoors so i’ll need something for the steam…
1700109392088.png

We cover about 60% of the shipping cost but 40% from NJ to MA would probably be $40 so just about $2900 all in with controller, chiller, pump kit, and steam control (lid mount).

If you did it with the Blichmann kettle bottom drained, it looks like this:
1700109546984.png

Main difference is that you have to cut a 2-1/4" hole in your table for the drain to pop through, though I'd argue it carries a few minor advantages. One less valve to clean, looks a little cleaner, sight glass, cheaper.

View attachment 834012

We cover about 60% of the shipping cost but 40% from NJ to MA would probably be $40 so just about $2900 all in with controller, chiller, pump kit, and steam control (lid mount).

If you did it with the Blichmann kettle bottom drained, it looks like this:
View attachment 834013

Main difference is that you have to cut a 2-1/4" hole in your table for the drain to pop through, though I'd argue it carries a few minor advantages. One less valve to clean, looks a little cleaner, sight glass, cheaper.
Thanks Bobby!
Are you running any black friday deals? Also what BH efficiency can I expect?

Thanks Bobby!
Are you running any black friday deals? Also what BH efficiency can I expect?

Unfortunately we can't afford to run any sales. None of the equipment manufacturers (I suppose I won't name names, but they are the big ones) have not extended any significant discounts to their retailer network. In fact, one of the manufacture's retail prices including the black friday discounts were LESS than the wholesale price we'd have to pay for the same gear on the same day.

Mash efficiency is about 70-75% Brewhouse efficiency for me, since I leave a ton of trub behind in the kettle, is about 60%. If you didn't mind some kettle trub in the fermenter, it would be closer to 65%.

Unfortunately we can't afford to run any sales. None of the equipment manufacturers (I suppose I won't name names, but they are the big ones) have not extended any significant discounts to their retailer network. In fact, one of the manufacture's retail prices including the black friday discounts were LESS than the wholesale price we'd have to pay for the same gear on the same day.

Mash efficiency is about 70-75% Brewhouse efficiency for me, since I leave a ton of trub behind in the kettle, is about 60%. If you didn't mind some kettle trub in the fermenter, it would be closer to 65%.
As a business owner myself, I'd buy gear on black Friday from my personal account. If you can’t beat'em, join'em.

Latest posts

Back