Hefeweizen help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.
I’ve been wanting to brew a Hefeweizen. It’s a style I’ve never done in my 20 something years of brewing. When I approach a new style, I like to do a lot of research. I have been seeing a lot of discussion about doing a ferulic acid rest at the beginning of the mash. A Brulosophy xbeeriment concluded that tasters couldn’t distinguish a difference. I personally would prefer not to if it’s not really necessary. Advice?
Here’s what I’ll use for a recipe.
BIAB
55% pale wheat malt
42.3% Pilsner malt
2.6% Melanoiden malt
Planning on 60 minute 152° single infusion mash.
60 minutes of Hallertauer Hersbrucker for 12 IBUs
WLP300 yeast
Haven’t decided on exact water profile yet either.
This batch might also get a charge of sauergut at the end of the boil also.
Thanks
Nick

I do a lot of my beers with a step mash that includes a ferulic acid rest as one of the steps. My hefeweizen is one that I do a single sach rest and no other rest (other than mash out). I like my hefe the same with and without the acid rest but I believe the haze is better when I only do the sach rest.

Rice hulls weren't mentioned, but with that much wheat this is something you might want to consider. I had one stuck mash, and it was with a grain bill similar to this. Once you experience one, you don't want to do that again.

What fermentation temperature are you planning?

Rice hulls weren't mentioned, but with that much wheat this is something you might want to consider. I had one stuck mash, and it was with a grain bill similar to this. Once you experience one, you don't want to do that again.

What fermentation temperature are you planning?

I didn’t list rice hulls because I didn’t think they were relevant to my original question. I only listed the actual fermentables. I’ll be using 6 oz hulls in a grain bill for a 3 gallon batch.
The suggested range for that yeast is 68-72°. Is there an optimum temperature?

That second article takes a much simpler approach. Would 1 white labs pure pitch package be too much for a 3.4 gallon batch? I think I’ll aim for the 66-68° range to try to help get more clove flavor hopefully… I’m not particularly fond of banana bombs. According to that first article, I need to revisit my water profile too.

I was hoping someone would answer your yeast question. Its a very good question. I only brew 5-5.5 gal batches, and 1 pure pitch is good for that volume. As a side comment, I've tried most of the dry alternatives for this style, and found none of them acceptable. Again, for my personal taste for this style. I use dry yeasts for almost every other beer I make.

I've brewed this at different temperatures and the differences they describe are real. You may have to dial in what you like over a few batches, but that's what makes this hobby fun for me. BTW, for me a perfect Hefeweizen is a nice balance between banana and clove. I must be in the minority because the local brewpubs are making Hefeweizen's with little or no banana flavor. So, YMMV of course. From my notes, 66-68° is a good starting point for what you want to achieve.

As far as the water chemistry, you might want to revisit it, but I don't stress too much about it. My tap water is pretty good (other than the chloramine) here in the SC lowcountry. With this water, I add just enough CaCl2 to get calcium concentration in range, and a few mL of Lactic Acid to get the pH in range. From your location, you should be pretty good as well, IDK.

Good Brewing.

One of the things I've always found important with hefe's is to drink them fresh. And by fresh, I mean around 10-days grain to glass.

My last hefe was delicious. It was (for 10-gallons @1.048): 71% wheat, 29% pilsner, 1# rice hulls, 1oz Hallertauer Hershbrucker 60m, 1oz Hallertauer Hershbrucker 15m, one healthy starter of WLP-300. Fermented 66-68F, we were drinking it 10 days later. I used 50-50 well water (fairly acidic) and city water (slightly high in pH).

Don't overthink hefeweizens by using all kinds of additional specialty grains. Keep it simple.

MC

One of the things I've always found important with hefe's is to drink them fresh. And by fresh, I mean around 10-days grain to glass.

My last hefe was delicious. It was (for 10-gallons @1.048): 71% wheat, 29% pilsner, 1# rice hulls, 1oz Hallertauer Hershbrucker 60m, 1oz Hallertauer Hershbrucker 15m, one healthy starter of WLP-300. Fermented 66-68F, we were drinking it 10 days later. I used 50-50 well water (fairly acidic) and city water (slightly high in pH).

Don't overthink hefeweizens by using all kinds of additional specialty grains. Keep it simple.

MC

Yep, this right here. I love a good Hefe, and have made dozens of them. My only difference is 60/40 wheat and pilsner. WLP300 or Wyeast 3068 for the yeast, and 66-68F gives a good balance. 71 or so gives a banana bomb, and 62 makes it mouth-puckering with cloves.

I brewed a 3.5 gallon batch today. I bumped the % of wheat up close to 60 and just did a single infusion @ 152°. I guesstimated about 3/4 of a packet of the WLP300 yeast and I’ll let it work at 65-66°.
01BCBD17-FCAA-4FBE-8EB2-4F805CFF980C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back