Hefeweizen Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefMichael01

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a AHS Lemongrass Hefeweizen mini-mash kit this evening and had a quick question: I have seen great disparity in opinions on fermentation temps for Hefs, anywhere from 62 degrees (for a clove flavor) up to 75 degrees (more of the banana/fruity flavor).

I know that high-temp ferm in lower gravity beers can create some off-flavors so wanted to get some opinions/suggestions on ferm temp for this bad boy.

Let me know if you need my specific recipe to answer the question.

Happy Holidays All.

I find the yeast to be more important to the flavor than the temps. You are correct in stating higher temps = more :ban: flavor, but WLP300 will make a bannana out of 65 degrees as well. What kind of yeast did you get with your recipe? This is the one recipe most would agree you really need to go liquid for the flavor profile you are looking for.

For hefe/wheat beers I generally set my fermentation chamber to 62F for the first 3 days, then 68F for the remainder of the fermentation. I think the wheat beers taste best with a equal mix of the banana/clove/fruity flavor, so a fermentation temperature of 67-68F is best. To get that temperature in the carboy, you'll need to set the temperature of the chamber down about 5 degrees under your desired temp. After initial blowoff/fermentation, you can raise the temperature of the chamber up to 68F to let the yeast finish out and clean up.

Keep it low with WLP300!

Right after brewing my hefe this summer I had to leave town for work unexpectedly, and it was 100+ deg that week. That puppy went from start to finish at a "cool" 78-82ish degree ferm with no one there to monitor. No clove whatsoever and all banana, all the time. Hit you in the face banana, not "mild, pleasant notes" - waaaay over the top.

I'll definitely use WLP300 again, but my suggestion is to ferment at the low to mid temp range.

ahh, yes. what was i thinking. this is an american wheat, not a hefeweizen.

mid-high 60s is fine. lower temps will be cleaner. you won't have as much banana with that yeast.

Keep it low with WLP300!.......No clove whatsoever and all banana, all the time. Hit you in the face banana, not "mild, pleasant notes" - waaaay over the top.....

I can second this description. I fermented a Hefe this summer at 74 - 76, and in mine, the bananas were toting a big bucket of fussels with every swig. It took over 6 weeks to mellow enough to be half-way decent. Keep yours in the mid 60's for the best results....

I don't think that is a hefewiezen recipe. I think it is a flavored American wheat, if this is the kit you are asking about. kit

According to wyeast (link) <74 is best. I pretty much always err on the cold side, so mid to low 60's is what I would shoot for.

well, I hate to dig up an old thread, but we never found out how she turned out. Just ordered the lemon grass extract kit from AHS myself and i'm itching to find out what I'll end up with

I was told by a head brewer with 20+ years of experience:

use wyeast 3068
start at 65 for a couple of days
crank it up to 80 for the rest of fermentation

??

Back