Hefeweizen Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
I am making my first homebrew batch and settled on a fairly simple Hefeweizen. My question centers on what steps I should take following primary fermentation...

It is my understanding that fusel alcohols are converted over time to esters, which are a plus for Hefes. However, longer conditioning also leads to a clearer beer, which this style is not known for I have had my beer in the primary fermentor for 76 days now, what timeline should I be looking at for bottling?

Thanks!

When your hydrometer readings are stable over a period of 3 to five days you are ready to bottle.
Usually fusel alcohols created by hot fermentation are permanent.

It looks like my fermentation bucket requires breaking the lid to open in an effort to eliminate contamination. Once I do that to take hydrometer readings (I have a thief), how do I replace the lid?

It looks like my fermentation bucket requires breaking the lid to open in an effort to eliminate contamination. Once I do that to take hydrometer readings (I have a thief), how do I replace the lid?

Describe the type of bucket you have. Usually the bucket lids have a press on type seal. Lifting on the edge working around the circumference will remove the lid and then it can be pressed back into place.

My fermentation bucket came in a starter kit from my local homebrew. It has a tab on the rim of the plastic lid with a sticker showing to pull it and break with a screwdriver to open (I dont get it either!). There is a possibility I can just pry it off and then push it back on, I'll give it a shot. At what point should I try to take my first hydrometer reading? OG was 1.050 if that helps at all!

Thanks again for the input everyone!

My fermentation bucket came in a starter kit from my local homebrew. It has a tab on the rim of the plastic lid with a sticker showing to pull it and break with a screwdriver to open (I dont get it either!). There is a possibility I can just pry it off and then push it back on, I'll give it a shot. At what point should I try to take my first hydrometer reading? OG was 1.050 if that helps at all!

Thanks again for the input everyone!

The cover most likely has been fastened to the bucket to ensure both parts would arrive at the final destination together. Next time you are at a home supply store ask about the tool for opening buckets. Cheap tool and saves the finger tips.
I don't bother with a hydrometer reading for at least 10 to 14 days. I usually don't plan to bottle until at least three weeks have passed. The early hydrometer reading is just to for a taste of the beer to see how it is progressing.

Back