Hefe Going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
I brewed a Hefe yesterday, well i left it out on the table in the carboy while i was at work came home and had a small thin krausen on top. i moved it to the closet where i normally keep my beers while they ferment. it kinda moved around a little bit and all the stuff that was settled on the bottom got stirred up well i checked it a few hours later and it looked like it was boiling! i dont think anything is settled in there now it has a thick krausen and is fermenting away!

I normally primary in a bucket so i have never seen one ferment like this before its pretty cool to watch.

hefes definitely give the most beautiful krausen. gotta love that crazy fermentation, too. i've got my rye beer going, and it has a wonderful white krausen starting to build on it. can't wait till it gets rolling!

i think im going to brew another one with a slightly diffrent recepie and rack it onto the yeast cake from the first !

blefferd said:
Iwell i checked it a few hours later and it looked like it was boiling! i dont think anything is settled in there now it has a thick krausen and is fermenting away!

Damn my opaque fermenter!!

I brewed my first ag hefe saturday and jesus christ it went off man I woke up early monday morning (about 1:30) because I was hearing some weird noises comming from the living room. My airlock was completely full of foam with a constant buzz from foam comming out of the top. I was using a 1/2 gal growler for my over flow and there was about an inch and a half of foam comming out of it!

If this one comes out good I am definatly going to make another, I kind of winged the recipe.

^^ my second batch i ever made did that to me cuz i used a carboy as a primary and didnt leave enough room on top for the krausen. got home from work and there was a kill zone of 3 ft on my kitchen floor! 1 lesson learned, 2394828384982 to go

Back