heavy sediment during primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrok

Reaction score
hello I have a slight concern. I just recently got back into brewing and have a second batch going that I boiled yesterday. I purchased a newcastle clone from midwest supplies called oldcastle. fermintation started today but there are very large and abundant sediments flying all over the place. I mean its crazy there is about an inch of sediment on bottom like usual but it is flowing up and all over the place. I have never seen this much going on before. I would appreciate somebodys input.

Well,fermentation does cause a swirling motion in the fermenter. If it starts coming out the airlock,you def need a blow off rigged up pdq.

yeah i just havent seen this much action before. There is like a current in the middle of the carboy draging large amounts of the sediments up to the top. so far the foam hasnt made it to the airlock but I have dealt with that before just a little messy.

Back