Heating system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weaselburner

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I just moved into a new house with some friends and received the garage as a designated brewing dungeon! I'm trying to set up a stove of some kind in there for boiling but am having a couple problems. The lease we're in doesn't let us store flammables at the house which means propane is out and all the electric ranges i have found would be too small to boil a full kettle. Does anyone know of an electric range on the market that i could set up out there and would be big enough to heat a 5gallon boil? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks, all

My glass top electric has about 11" burners in front and can boil 7g. You will need to wire a stove unless you have 220v hookup already there

you don't really need an electric range. take a look at the electric brewing threads. you can build an electric setup using water heater elements. they are much more efficient than an electric range because you are directly heating the wort and not the actual kettle. they are a bit more work to set up but that would be the direction i would go with this

you don't really need an electric range. take a look at the electric brewing threads. you can build an electric setup using water heater elements. they are much more efficient than an electric range because you are directly heating the wort and not the actual kettle. they are a bit more work to set up but that would be the direction i would go with this
You WILL need a dedicated 20amp circuit for this though in all probability. Either way if you're going electric, you need to know your wiring situation.

hrmmm i've seen mention before of just such a heating element. the one i saw only ran 12amps. you guys think i should build a 20amp instead?

Back