Heated Fermentation Chamber 120F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeapingLamb

Reaction score
Hi all you DIY'ers

I hope this is the right forum to ask. I recently completed my STC1000 controller and got a chest freezer. I am interested in hearing peoples opinions as to how they are heated. I love sour mashed berliner weisse and was wondering if it is possible to use off the shelf space heaters/ceramic heaters/heat trace cables/heat lamps etc to heat the freezer to 110-120F

I tried searching online but all I found was mention of using heated fermentation chambers for Belgium beers that ferment around 90F.

Thanks

LL

I would think a small space heater (without thermostatic control) would do the trick. Make sure to use an additional fan or two to circulate the air, use a piece of sheet metal with an air gap by heater to protect your chamber.
Some things to look out for:
1. Heater should pull 10A at the most
2. Even without thermostatic control, most heaters will have a temp over limit switch built in. What temp it will kick off may take some experimentation.
3. Don't set it up so the heat is blowing directly on your carboy.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back