Heat stick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can add a 1500w heat stick to my boil kettle to compliment my boil. Problem i'm having is boiling on our fancy energy efficient glasstop stove. I can't get a decent boil with even 2.5 gallons of wort. this is what I'm looking at :
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/2000-w-ss-heat-stick-w-weldless-gasket-kit.html
Would it help? Is there a simple way to control this thing temp. wise? Propane is out as I can only brew inside. I have a natural gas hookup so that could be another option but, electric seems alot more desireable.. Any other options? thanks for the help!

I brew indoors on a stove top with a heatstick to assist as well. It's an average natural gas stove top and my kettle sits over two burners, so I'm able to boil probably 4 or 5 gallons with no help, but a submerged 1125 watt heatstick allows me to get a very nice boil at larger volumes (7.5 gallons is my largest test so far).

From what I have researched, having an electrical element on the pot itself while the pot is on a gas burner would not work but on your electrical/glasstop it would be fine as long as the cord and cover box do not go over the element or anything. If you electrical supply can handle 1500 watts, I say go for it.

One benefit I do enjoy of having a separate heatstick is that I can use it to heat water in a bucket, although I don't utilize this option super often.

If you have a good 240v connection for you stove, you could also set up a real electric 240v 5000w element in a kettle and use the stove's outlet

thanks, good read.. So is there a way to control the heat stick? Other than unpluging it when you get to temp, for a reasonable price?

Just came to me... I have an electric stove in storage, could I, Use a burner contol to turn the heat stick up and down? Maybe I'll just bring my other stove to the house for my next brewday. Maybe Im over thinking myself here... i dunno..

thanks, good read.. So is there a way to control the heat stick? Other than unpluging it when you get to temp, for a reasonable price?

A heat stick is the ticket!!!

I use mine to assist the stove and unplug it when the boil is rolling. The stove seems to keep up the boil, just needs help getting there.

I've also thought of controlling the power. Things that come to mind are: A light dimmer, a Variac (old school variable transformer) and the PWM SSR often posted on here. Even a nice big single Diode would reduce power 50%, which may be enough.

I'm just not sure if the GFCI plays well with these devices though.

Build the stick and see if you need the temp control.

'da Kid

I bought one of those heat elements off homebrewstuff and connected it to a Johnson A419 temperature controller. Works like a champ.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

1389081326900.jpg

1389081375964.jpg

If you are using it to assist your stove, just turn the stove down. That's what I do, works great.

Back