Heat Stick (Heatstick) Build: Easy... basically

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I decided, on a whim, to build a 2000W heatstick this weekend based on THIS design. I batch sparge and figured a heatstick not only would help me save a little propane when heating my strike water, but may make the option of a mash-out easier.

All in all, the instructions from the aforementioned website were simple and the overall cost was under $50. Here are a couple things that might help folks planning to do the same thing:

1. Purchase the 12 gauge power cable in bulk. I found everything I needed at Home Depot, including 12 ft of bulk 12 gauge power cable... which wasn't next to the extension cords. With the plug, I spent about $16 for the power cord, compared to $30 for the cheapest 12 gauge extension cord.

2. For the life of me, I couldn't find the 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" chrome slip reducer referred to in the instructions (from the website above). When I asked a HD employee, he looked at me funny and pointed me in the direction of PVC slip reducers. I actually went home empty-handed the first day I looked for it... then realized what the instructions are referring to is actually a 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" "slip joint nut and washer" set (click HERE to see it). These can be found in the plumbing section near the bathroom stuff.

Other than that, the instructions were great! I'll be sure to post once I finally use the heatstick for a brew day.

Cheers!

I'd do a search for "JB weld" and "heatstick" on this forum, there have been many complaints about using JB weld to pot the connections for this design. Basically, people have observed that the JB weld doensn't cure completely when you think with acetone....just something to check out before you use this thing.

broadbill said:
I'd do a search for "JB weld" and "heatstick" on this forum, there have been many complaints about using JB weld to pot the connections for this design. Basically, people have observed that the JB weld doensn't cure completely when you think with acetone....just something to check out before you use this thing.

I sorta got that notion... don't plan on using it for another week or so.

image-3806258251.jpg

BrightSpot said:
1. Purchase the 12 gauge power cable in bulk. I found everything I needed at Home Depot, including 12 ft of bulk 12 gauge power cable... which wasn't next to the extension cords. With the plug, I spent about $16 for the power cord, compared to $30 for the cheapest 12 gauge extension cord.

FYI, Harbor Freight sells a 10 foot 12 gauge extension cord for $10. These are technically 15 Amp max but that's because of the plug. A true 20 Amp plug has one of the prongs turned sideways and would require a matching 20 Amp outlet. I'm not sure how much of a big deal this is. I used a 20A server cord on my 2000W heatstick and swapped out the outlet to match (it is a 20A circuit).

FYI, Harbor Freight sells a 10 foot 12 gauge extension cord for $10. These are technically 15 Amp max but that's because of the plug. A true 20 Amp plug has one of the prongs turned sideways and would require a matching 20 Amp outlet. I'm not sure how much of a big deal this is. I used a 20A server cord on my 2000W heatstick and swapped out the outlet to match (it is a 20A circuit).

Yeah, I noticed that (about the 15 amp plug)... hmm. I was able to get some bulk 12 gauge power cord for about 1.18/ft at HD, so I picked up 12 ft of it.

How was your experience with JB Weld? I poured a s*it-ton of that stuff in there and let it cure for a bit, I don't see how it wouldn't hold a water-tight seal, to be honest. I then used some marine sealant to seal the hole where the cord goes through the pipe cap at the top. I'm hoping to try it out this evening.

Latest posts

Back