Heat diffuser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincimatt

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has used an aluminum or copper plate to help spread the heat when using a stainless pot that doesn't have an aluminum core bottom?

I use a turkey frier burner, and am considering getting a stainless pot but I want to know if I have to get away with just using an inexpensive pot and adding a heat diffuser.

You probably won't really need one, boiling wort isn't quite the same as cooking a pork chop or heating a thick soup

here's why: as the liquid is heated it rises and the cooler liquid settles to take it's place so that the entire pot is pretty much in constant motion

here's another analogy if you put a full paper cup of water into a fire the water inside the paper cup will keep the cup from burning up because the water won't let the paper get hot enough to burn

If I were a gambling man I'd be willing to bet you won't ever have a problem

I use a stainless Sanke keggle and use a cheap turkey fryer as do many others. I believe that if you tried to use a diffuser, unless it was bonded to the bottom of the stainless pot, you'd lose a lot of heat transfer to the pot.

Latest posts

Back