Heady Topper clone - Maltose Express

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Conan Yeast in their Clone. Wyeast 1056 is what is used.

I live in ct and brewed maltose version and vegans recipe - vegans is closer for sure although maltose clone tastes very good - great ipa

hbr2547 said:
I live in ct and brewed maltose version and vegans recipe - vegans is closer for sure although maltose clone tastes very good - great ipa

Nice. Maltose has two clones. The Heady Topper Clone and Teddy Hopper. The latter contains less hops.

I am likely going to grab the standard clone did you use 1056 for both??? I plan on using Conan instead. What was your experience with the yeast you used?

Conan is great for sure. If you live near maltose I will happily drop off some Conan. I was able to get from a greAt home brew friend so would love to "pay it forward"

Conan is great for sure. If you live near maltose I will happily drop off some Conan. I was able to get from a greAt home brew friend so would love to "pay it forward"

Sent you a PM.

And, Maltose is trying to start a brewery. WTF

https://www.facebook.com/MaltoseExpress

Just wondering what your issue would be with Maltose opening their own brewery? It's been done a number of times before by others.

They've got a number of great original recipes for the brewery - currently 10 or 11 as I've been told).I've had their American Pale ale (called "Pedestrian Ale") and their "Pig Tail Porter" are just fantastic.

Just wondering what your issue would be with Maltose opening their own brewery? It's been done a number of times before by others.

They've got a number of great original recipes for the brewery - currently 10 or 11 as I've been told).I've had their American Pale ale (called "Pedestrian Ale") and their "Pig Tail Porter" are just fantastic.

Why would it be an issue for me if Maltose opens a brewery? I think it's a great idea and would definitely stop in for beer. I am simply not aware of any other LHBS that have this type of setup. So, it seems out of the ordinary to me - which isn't good nor bad one way or the other.

I've had 5-6 of their beers in the shop and I've liked them all.

The brewery is going to be separate from the store - not "IN" the store.

As I heard it, the shop is going to move next door to where the liquor store is - and the brewery will be where the brew shop is currently. I guess the plan is to open a tap room to serve pints and sell growlers, and eventually self-distribute to local restaurants.

Last I hear they are shooting for a spring 2014 opening once all the moving and build out is done.

Sounds good. I will support it.

The "Teddy Hopper" recipe that Maltose Express has was the result of the first cloning attempt for the beer. From I was told, it finished with a maltier base and provided a better over all balanced beer.

The "Heady Topper" has some where between 6 to 8 hop additions in the boil, in addition to a dry hop.

I recently brewed this beer, and compared it against a can of The Alchemist's Heady, and the flavor and hop profile were definitely dead on. The only difference would probably be from the Wyeast 1056 instead of using the Conan yeast which you can't find anyway (unless you try to propagate it yourself)

It seems that Alchemist MAY have changed the recipe or process recently. Many of the cans I've had in the past have had a significant amount of hop matter in the can (hence the "DRINK FROM CAN" label). The last couple of four packs I shared with friends has had NO hop particulate in the beer, the beer seems clearer (filtering now?) and the flavor profile seems to have changed a bit making it a better balanced beer and not the total hop assault on all your senses.

The "Teddy Hopper" recipe that Maltose Express has was the result of the first cloning attempt for the beer. From I was told, it finished with a maltier base and provided a better over all balanced beer.

The "Heady Topper" has some where between 6 to 8 hop additions in the boil, in addition to a dry hop.

I recently brewed this beer, and compared it against a can of The Alchemist's Heady, and the flavor and hop profile were definitely dead on. The only difference would probably be from the Wyeast 1056 instead of using the Conan yeast which you can't find anyway (unless you try to propagate it yourself)

It seems that Alchemist MAY have changed the recipe or process recently. Many of the cans I've had in the past have had a significant amount of hop matter in the can (hence the "DRINK FROM CAN" label). The last couple of four packs I shared with friends has had NO hop particulate in the beer, the beer seems clearer (filtering now?) and the flavor profile seems to have changed a bit making it a better balanced beer and not the total hop assault on all your senses.

The end result is a very good beer, but it doesn't taste like Heady. Being that I wasn't sure of the exact types of hops are used in the Maltose recipe and know for a fact there isn't any Caramalt in that recipe (don't remember if there was any wheat DME, either), I didn't bother using the Conan yeast on this batch.

I'd be curious to know if the recipe is ever tweaked. Only then would I use some Conan on it and see how it turns out.

Back