Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran out of oxygen a few second into oxygenating the wort. This Heady Topper process turned out great except for the oxygen. I pitched the yeast anyway at 9pm. Home Depot's closed.

Can I oxygenate the worth first thing tomorrow morning? If so, for how long? Should I just leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing?

Home Depot opens at 7am. I'm buying two bottles this time!

Ran out of oxygen a few second into oxygenating the wort. This Heady Topper process turned out great except for the oxygen. I pitched the yeast anyway at 9pm. Home Depot's closed.

Can I oxygenate the worth first thing tomorrow morning? If so, for how long? Should I just leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing?

You could have just gone back to old school shaking the carboy to oxygenate.

You bet. Some say it's actually quite advisable as much of the initial oxygen dissipates when the multiplication phase gets into full swing

You bet. Some say it's actually quite advisable as much of the initial oxygen dissipates when the multiplication phase gets into full swing

Good to hear!

Woke up and staggered down stairs. Opened the fermentation fridge and nothing was happening as far as the airlock was concerned. Was waiting at the door for Lowes to open up at 7am. Got a couple cylinders. Was able to oxygenate for about 60 seconds by 7:30am this morning.

Good to go!

Right, that's what people "say" here, but has anyone actually "made" this recipe?

Bob posted this, and he has not been heard from since as far as I can tell.

I brewed very similar to this recipe. Like the other versions I brewed, very good DIPA...... but, not Heady. To be honest, I just don't feel like any of my attempts were what I would call cloned. 75% perhaps. I think the grain bill is close enough. Yeast - obviously. But, nothing I have brewed has the hop profile of heady. I have been able to drink dozens of cans of heady over the past couple years..... so, I have had ample opportunity to compare. But, noting I have brewed is what I call "cloned."

The two hops I (personally) pick up most distinctly in Heady seem to be Columbus and Centennial. Beyond a clean bitterness (hotshot or something like warrior if using hops)...... it is all a guess for me.

This will be my third and fourth tries with the recipes on this thread. 2x using the original recipe on post #1, and I have two fermenting right now which use bobbrews latest recipe effort. Albeit one I slightly modified the base malt. Will report back next month when it's ready.

I'll say it again, a big component, if not the biggest component is the condition of the water. Don't get that right, and there's no hope of cloning.

My first two attempts, I took the simple route conditioning my water. The results were not even close. Muted malt and hop flavors.

Here's my latest effort:
https://instagram.com/p/8f1uoMxSjX/

I had the real deal for the first time the other day and was surprised to taste some "savory" hop flavors. Usually I don't like this, but it was balanced well

My 4th attempt at the HT clone is the only beer I brewed that was really on that HT level. I recently brewed a DIPA that I thought would get there again and it didn't. Malt was right, pH was right, hardness was right, 12 ml hop oil, 2 oz flame out, 4.5 oz whirlpool, and 3 dry hop additions totaling 9.5 oz. There were some slight problems with temperature, but I really don't think that was it.

IMO the reason my 4th attempt was there was because I used a massive first dry hop. I actually misread the original recipe and was using 5.5 oz, 2.75 oz, and 2.75 oz for 3 dry hop additions on day 8, 15, and 22. I did that technique for my 2nd and 3rd attempts, but on my 4th attempt when I finally got my pH and hardness right, it was better than Heady Topper IMO. The real Heady Topper uses a single 4oz/5 gallon dry hop (most likely on day 16 based on John Kimmich interviews). We may need to double dry hop for our techniques, but I think we need that 1st dry hop to be at least 4 oz (probably more since our techniques won't be as efficient.) While 5 minute addition vs flame out addition vs various whirlpool techniques may make a slight difference, and slightly different combinations of particular hops will as well, IMO the IPA taste we are looking for comes down to dry hopping more than anything.

BOTTOM LINE: Use more dry hops for the 1st addition!

My 4th attempt at the HT clone is the only beer I brewed that was really on that HT level. I recently brewed a DIPA that I thought would get there again and it didn't. Malt was right, pH was right, hardness was right, 12 ml hop oil, 2 oz flame out, 4.5 oz whirlpool, and 3 dry hop additions totaling 9.5 oz. There were some slight problems with temperature, but I really don't think that was it.

IMO the reason my 4th attempt was there was because I used a massive first dry hop. I actually misread the original recipe and was using 5.5 oz, 2.75 oz, and 2.75 oz for 3 dry hop additions on day 8, 15, and 22. I did that technique for my 2nd and 3rd attempts, but on my 4th attempt when I finally got my pH and hardness right, it was better than Heady Topper IMO. The real Heady Topper uses a single 4oz/5 gallon dry hop (most likely on day 16 based on John Kimmich interviews). We may need to double dry hop for our techniques, but I think we need that 1st dry hop to be at least 4 oz (probably more since our techniques won't be as efficient.) While 5 minute addition vs flame out addition vs various whirlpool techniques may make a slight difference, and slightly different combinations of particular hops will as well, IMO the IPA taste we are looking for comes down to dry hopping more than anything.

Which recipe and what water profile did you use for the one you thought was the best?

Do you recommend 3 dry hop schedule that the first recipe recommends, or the 2 dry hop schedule that bobbrews recommends?

Which recipe and what water profile did you use for the one you thought was the best?

I'm also interested in your water profile and the recipe for your 4th attempt.

Based on your comments, I'm contemplating a two stage dry hopping over 8 days. Bombing it with 5.75 ounces for the first stage. Maybe for the second stage too.

Dry hop temp will be at 68F over the 8 day dry hopping period. Chime in if you suggest another dry hopping temp you feel will be successful.

I'll be racking to secondary for dry hopping this Saturday .

Using the following bobbrews dry hop bill for each stage:
1.50 oz. Simcoe pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.50 oz. Centennial pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Columbus pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Comet pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
0.75 oz. Apollo pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop

+1 to this. When I do high gravity beers (such as double IPAs like this), I'll give them a second oxygenation ~12 hours later. HT's not an overly dry beer and the starting gravity's not really that high, but there's certainly no harm in a slightly delayed oxygenation after yeast is pitched. I hope it turned out ok!

Kal

+1 to this. When I do high gravity beers (such as double IPAs like this), I'll give them a second oxygenation ~12 hours later. HT's not an overly dry beer and the starting gravity's not really that high, but there's certainly no harm in a slightly delayed oxygenation after yeast is pitched. I hope it turned out ok!

Kal

Second week in primary. I'll find out this weekend when I rack to secondary for dry hopping.

Thanks!

For my 4th attempt clone I used the original recipe replacing Pearl malt with a 50/50 mix of Golden Promise and 2-row, and dropping the wheat and sugar (I prefer that malt taste without those) and using Citra and El Dorado instead of Amarillo, however I made those same replacements for the 2nd and 3rd attempts as well. 4th attempt did add 3 oz acidulated malt though.

My water profile is my municipal water run through an ionizer so it's very alkaline. I simply added 4g of gypsum per gallon to my initial mash which was 1 gallon/2 lbs malt. Mash pH was 5.4 at room temperature.

The original recipe is 2 dry hop additions (I read it wrong as well and thought it was 3 the whole time.) A 3rd dry hop won't hurt, but I think a 2nd dry hop of less than 3 oz will get your clone there provided all the other variables are on target. I also pitch yeast at 1.0 rather than the standard 0.75. The brewersfriend calculator has multiple pitching options. I also used their water calculator to figure out how much gypsum and acidulated malt I needed.

Kal

We do so much to protect our highly hopped beers from oxygen to protect that delicate aroma and flavor when packaging/transferring, but then turn around after adding a TON of whirlpool hops and do what - blast the wort with pure oxygen not once but TWICE? Does this make sense?

I don't know the answer, but this occurred to me the last time I was brewing a highly hopped IPA. Worth thinking about.

We do so much to protect our highly hopped beers from oxygen to protect that delicate aroma and flavor when packaging/transferring, but then turn around after adding a TON of whirlpool hops and do what - blast the wort with pure oxygen not once but TWICE? Does this make sense?

I don't know the answer, but this occurred to me the last time I was brewing a highly hopped IPA. Worth thinking about.

Oxygen is REQUIRED for fermentation. It is only after active fermentation is complete that we need to worry about oxydizing our beer. As in, racking to secondary, bottling bucket, keg or when bottling.

Last edited:
Exactly - The yeast needs it and uses it up. Once fermentation is well underway you don't want to add O2 and you definitely don't want to add any after fermentation is done. So yup, it makes perfect sense to blast the wort with O2.

Kal

Wondering though. I too use pure 02 for my beer. When I do my FO and WP additions I'm very careful to cover my boil kettle to keep the fragile aromas in. But an hour later when I drain to my fermenter I hit it with 02for a min it bubbles like crazy. Makes me wonder if some of those aromas are lost due to disturbing the wort so much.

Not to seem lazy, but after reading this thread, over a couple of weeks, I am still not sure if there is consensus on whether to cold crash prior to dry hopping or not. I have used the recipe from this thread (bobbrews I think) and fermented at 61.5 to 64F for a week. Now raising to 66 for couple of days but I would like to know if cold crashing to 58F (I think I saw this temp mentioned a few times) prior to dry hopping is needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

Exactly - The yeast needs it and uses it up. Once fermentation is well underway you don't want to add O2 and you definitely don't want to add any after fermentation is done. So yup, it makes perfect sense to blast the wort with O2.

Kal

Do you not think that oxidation of the hop oils/terpense introduced by a big whirlpool addition is not occuring before or simultaneously to sterol synthesis by the replicting yeast cells?

I'm not so sure we can say one way or the other definitively.

Not to seem lazy, but after reading this thread, over a couple of weeks, I am still not sure if there is consensus on whether to cold crash prior to dry hopping or not. I have used the recipe from this thread (bobbrews I think) and fermented at 61.5 to 64F for a week. Now raising to 66 for couple of days but I would like to know if cold crashing to 58F (I think I saw this temp mentioned a few times) prior to dry hopping is needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

I don't believe there is a consensus. I'd like to know the same thing. Last night, I raised primary to 70F for the last 48 hours of primary. I plan to rack straight to secondary for dry hopping on Saturday, no crash, and maintain 68F through the 8 day dry hop schedule. I've done it this way the last couple Heady Topper attempts because there aren't any other details on this thread about dry hopping. Specifically, temp.

Where did you see 58F? Link to the post, please. :)

Thanks...

Last edited:
You're already over 1 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer as it is. And when you rack the 5.1 gallons you collected to secondary, some of that will be lost to trub.

HBT Heady Topper clone attempts are continuing to evolve. While the page 1 recipe will create a fine beer, it is not a perfect clone for Heady Topper. It is lacking the appropriate bitterness and/or contains too much caramalt, and the hop profile is not completely nailed. No actual hops are boiled in the real Heady Topper either. Additionally, I'm in favor of a 148-149 F, 90 minute mash and substituting about 4-5% turbinado for base malt to aid dryness. The water profile is also extremely important.

If I were to clone again, I would advise gaining some IBUs during the whirlpool instead of relying on 100% of the isomerization at boil start. Again, no actual hops should be boiled:

1.073/1.074 OG
1.010/1.011 FG
7.5 gallon boil
5.5 gallon batch, collected in primary

12lbs, 84.2% Thomas Fawcett Pearl Malt
12oz, 5.30% Turbinado Sugar
12oz, 5.30% Thomas Fawcett Wheat
12oz, 5.30% Thomas Fawcett Caramalt

14 ml HopShot @ 90 Minutes
2.50 oz. Simcoe pellets @ 180 F Whirlpool
1.00 oz. Centennial pellets @ 180 F Whirlpool
0.75 oz. Columbus pellets @ 180 F Whirlpool
0.75 oz. Comet pellets @ 180 F Whirlpool
0.75 oz. Apollo pellets @ 180 F Whirlpool
1.50 oz. Simcoe pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.50 oz. Centennial pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Columbus pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Comet pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop
0.75 oz. Apollo pellets @ 8 day, Two-Stage Dry Hop

Conan @ 63 F, then after ferm slows down drastically or completes, rack to secondary and ramp up to 68-70 F. Be wary of ambient temperatures. You don't want the wort in the primary going over say 64 F for the first week.

^The majority of these hops are very piney, dank(marijuana), and full of pungent grapefruit. Centennial is really the only somewhat fruity hop. I am open to minor tweaks if you guys attempt this beer and are familiar with what these hops bring to the table.

It's right in front of my face. Above in red. I did know where I got the secondary temp information. Oops.

It's not the temp everyone uses. So, there is no "consensus", but's its the temp he suggests using. I'm using it. I'll report back.

Heady Topper Clone Brew 4.0

The fermentation chamber has been cleared of high-temp-needy Saisons and it’s time to brew another Heady Topper clone. This one might be a winner, it’s really close. For this 5-gallon batch brewed on 5/4/2013, the grain bill was 86.8% Pearl, 3.8% Caramalt, 5.7% Torrified Wheat, and 3.7% Turbinado Sugar. Up to this point, I have used the following hop bill :

10ml of hop jizz @90 minutes = 107 IBUs
1 oz of Columbus (14% AA) + 0.5 ounces of Apollo (12.5%AA) @5 minutes
2 oz of Columbus(14% AA) + 1 ounce of Simcoe(13%AA) at flameout.

I turn on the chiller for about 5 minutes to get the wort down to 180 then I add:

1 ounce of Columbus
1 ounce of Simcoe
0.75 ounces of Amarillo
0.5 ounces of Apollo + 0.5 ounces of Centennial

I swirl the hops around with my immersion chiller every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn on the chiller again and bring down to pitching temp of 68. By the time you get to 68, your last minute additions and whirlpool hops will have had about an hour of contact time with the wort and will be very aromatic.

While it’s too early, way too early, to render a final verdict, I got a very distinct Heady Topper aroma out of the bottom of the kettle after I’d filled up the carboy. I’m still not sure if it was the Apollo addition, the fresh batch of Columbus I used, or the new ratio of hops. Whatever it was it intrigued and excited me for what this brew will turn out like.
I will be fermenting this batch at 68 degrees with an insulated temperature probe taped to the carboy. I pitched 225ml of slurry harvested the 2nd week of April. Expected something like 200-250 billion cells to make it in there. After 3 days I rose the temperature to 71 degrees until day 14. I crashed down to 58 degrees and commenced the two-stage dry hop. This is the most accurate fermentation temperature schedule out there. There is no evidence that Heady Topper is fermented in the low 60s like reported elsewhere. 68-72-58.
Heady Topper Clone Attempt 4.0

Beersmith file for download
Beer XML file

Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 5/2/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.47 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Volume 5.72 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 77.7 %
Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pearl Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 1 86.8 %
8.0 oz Thomas Fawcett CaraMalt (12 SRM) Grain 2 3.8 %
12.0 oz Canada Malting Group White Wheat (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
8.0 oz Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 14 3.8 %
Hops

10ml Hopshot [3.45 %] – Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 117.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [12.50 %] – Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] – Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] – Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] – Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.50 %] – Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [12.50 %] – Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] – Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] – Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] – Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.50 %] – Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] – Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.073 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.073 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 %
Bitterness: 130.7 IBUs Calories: 249.4 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.1 SRM
Yeast

It’s very important to use Conan yeast, the Alchemist’s proprietary yeast strain. It’s super unique, high attenuation, and gives a peachy aroma when treated right. Keep you eyes out for a new yeast YG001 Green Mountains Ale Yeast which has very similar characteristics. It goes on sale every Monday at 8PM EST/5PM PST, you can find it here: http://yeastgeek.com/product/yg001-green-mountains-ale/

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 4.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.05 l of water at 163.5 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.00gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

* 5/6/2013- Main fermentation complete. No krausen. Liquid is creamy orange. Typical fermentation minus the Krausen.
*5/8/2013- Airlock activity slowed to 1 bubble every two seconds. A 1″ Krausen came up the night of 5/6/2013 and is back down to a 1/4 inch ring today. Smelling great in the ferm chamber.
* 5/9/2013- Took gravity reading. Sample is very peachy with noticeable Caramalt contribution similar to the Caravienne I was using before. The smell pre dryhop very much reminds me of the bottom of a can of Heady, after all the dryhop aroma has left the can.
You can see the yeast is still suspended. Gravity reading was 1.014 so I hope it’ll creep in to 1.010 over the next 2 weeks. If not I’ll lower mash temp to 149.

* 5/16/2013- After constructing my new CO2 wand I threw in half of the dry hop, stirred and roused with CO2. This half of the dry hop was 1 ounce of Simcoe, 0.75 ounces of Columbus, 0.5 ounces of Amarillo, 0.5 ounces of Centennial, and 0.25 ounces of Apollo.

This is one of the references I remembered for dry hopping at 58F. I know there were others, maybe even on some other sites (I have read a lot the last two weeks, hard to remember everything!). It makes some sense to drop as much yeast as possible, but dry hopping at 68 would be easier (I use an immersion coil with ice water, more ice to keep at 58 but can do if I have to.)

Thanks roncruiser, I think our replies crossed in the ether. I am going to dry hop at 68F as it is how I have done other DIPAs (granted not with Conan yeast) and have had good results. I have debated this issue for all my DIPAs in that higher temps usually mean you dissolve more solute, and by extension possible more hop oils. However, as yeast settle out they will take some of the hop oils with them. So the quandary, hop at 58 or 68, which leaves more hop oil? Like I said, will do at 68F this time, and next will try 58F to compare results.

Will let everyone know what I think of dry hop at 68f when this bad boy is finally complete and in the glass. Thanks again for the input!

Cheers,
Ben

That's the temp I used as well (more or less room temp). I was happy with the results. It's the temp I dry hop most of my beers at.

Kal

I recently drop hopped a Pliny clone at serving temperature. With 5 ounces of dry hops, it is not as fragrant as expected. I suspect the temperature has something to do with it.

I've had perfectly good aroma dry hopping at cold temperatures. I also do it while carbonating, so that might have something to do with. Not worth too much speculation until a side by side controlled experiment is done imo

I don't believe there is a consensus. I'd like to know the same thing. Last night, I raised primary to 70F for the last 48 hours of primary. I plan to rack straight to secondary for dry hopping on Saturday, no crash, and maintain 68F through the 8 day dry hop schedule. I've done it this way the last couple Heady Topper attempts because there aren't any other details on this thread about dry hopping. Specifically, temp.

Where did you see 58F? Link to the post, please. :)

Thanks...

Kimmich cellars HT for 14 days at 39F. However, I don't know if that means that the dry hop begins at the lowered temp or not.

Latest posts

Back