Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CliffMongoloid said:

Brewtoad adds post boil hops as if they were boiled for the entire time (such as 20 minutes post boil/whirlpool is calculated at 20 minutes of boil time). Also, the IBU calculator on brewtoad is worse than the old hopville one was, especially at higher gravity. FWIW, the Rager calculator has troubles at this level too.

brewski09 said:
Brewtoad adds post boil hops as if they were boiled for the entire time (such as 20 minutes post boil/whirlpool is calculated at 20 minutes of boil time). Also, the IBU calculator on brewtoad is worse than the old hopville one was, especially at higher gravity. FWIW, the Rager calculator has troubles at this level too.
also, you put in 10 oz of hop shot. That can't be correct?

Looks like Brewtoad's calculations are goofy. Should be in the 110 range with those additions.
Completely agree. This recipe came out to be 117 on BrewSmith with my equipment.

This is the first BrewToad recipe I've put in that used the Whirlpool and Dry Hop options. It's definitely wrong. Don't pay attention to the IBUs! Also, I found no way to change the IBU formulat to Rager, which is what I use normally.

also, you put in 10 oz of hop shot. That can't be correct?
aha good catch. This should be 10ml. (not 10oz ~~ 300ml)
Very true, it's not correct, but unfortunately, BrewToad doesn't allow the unit of measure to be mL for the hops section. I do state in the notes below that it should be 10mL of Hop Shot.

This was more of an experiment to see how good (or bad) BrewToad is. I like some of the features the site offers, but it seems to be lacking a lot in terms of standard recipe formulation and flexibility.

barrooze said:
Completely agree. This recipe came out to be 117 on BrewSmith with my equipment. This is the first BrewToad recipe I've put in that used the Whirlpool and Dry Hop options. It's definitely wrong. Don't pay attention to the IBUs! Also, I found no way to change the IBU formulat to Rager, which is what I use normally. Very true, it's not correct, but unfortunately, BrewToad doesn't allow the unit of measure to be mL for the hops section. I do state in the notes below that it should be 10mL of Hop Shot. This was more of an experiment to see how good (or bad) BrewToad is. I like some of the features the site offers, but it seems to be lacking a lot in terms of standard recipe formulation and flexibility.

Brewtoad used to be hopville (technically they acquired hopville) and hopville supported Rager and other utilization schemes. 10mL=0.33oz

Bottled the BYO version mentioned in sig and I have to say I'm pretty excited. Sample was delicious and instantly reminded me of HT, although I'm sure my palate is not as discerning as many out here. Used cultured Conan from 2 very fresh cans of HT. Its definitely "in the ballpark" despite the criticism I've seen of that recipe. JMO

I have one can left of the real thing and will do a side by side tasting with pics sometime around Christmas.

I went to a bottle share yesterday that had an auction and take a look at what I won:

DpPjIU5.jpg

Two cans of HT, one signed by John Kimmach (I also won a koozie, not pictured). All because one of the guys knows some guy who somehow knows John. And this guy sent an email to John saying we were doing a charity raffle and he sent them! That's pretty awesome to me!

I went to a bottle share yesterday that had an auction and take a look at what I won:

Two cans of HT, one signed by John Kimmach (I also won a koozie, not pictured). All because one of the guys knows some guy who somehow knows John. And this guy sent an email to John saying we were doing a charity raffle and he sent them! That's pretty awesome to me!

Awesome! But he signed the dented can? ;)

Unfortunately my Heady clone didn't turn out as good as it should have. It has a little bit of a Belgian taste. It tastes a little thin (most likely from the dryness as it finished at 1.005), but actually has a sweet taste that is very similar to attenuated sugar. I blame the Conan yeast more than anything, as that is certainly where the Belgian taste comes from and most likely that sweet taste too. My temperature went over 68* at various point during secondary fermentation (was up to 75* one morning when the building jacked the heat up to 85* in my apartment from 78* the night before), and I also bottle conditioned at room temperature. Another likely culprit is the oxidation (and maybe infection) that I'm sure occurred from the airlock being knocked off inside my Cool Brewing cooler for a day or so right before I bottled. I'll probably give this clone another shot, guess I'll have to make sure my airlock stopper is in much tighter in the future. And since my stupid building feels the need to excessively jack up the heat at times, I will keep the temperature in the low 60s at all times when I use Conan yeast. I probably will also change the way I mash and ferment so FG is closer to 1.010, but I like dry beers and if that was the only issue I'd be pretty happy with this beer.

did u get your from Yeast Geek? Mine went bad too, very Belgian to the point of undrinkable. I am pretty disappointed.

JPBrewer said:
did u get your from Yeast Geek? Mine went bad too, very Belgian to the point of undrinkable. I am pretty disappointed.

I would say it sounds like temperature control issues may be at play. Especially on the post you were replying to where their temp got up to 75f. If you go above 70, it sounds like its a Belgian strain. In the low 60s, it behaves similar to a cal ale yeast with better flavors from the low fermentation temp.

What was your fermentation temperature ???

Got it from an actual can of Heady. No question it is the temp. I've done quite a few starters with Conan and the starter beer will taste Belgian if the temp goes above 70. The bottom line is that I am going to be extra careful to keep my temps in the low 60s - even after primary fermentation - to make sure my Conan beers don't go Belgian. It's almost enough to make me go back to WLP090.

Got it from an actual can of Heady. No question it is the temp. I've done quite a few starters with Conan and the starter beer will taste Belgian if the temp goes above 70. The bottom line is that I am going to be extra careful to keep my temps in the low 60s - even after primary fermentation - to make sure my Conan beers don't go Belgian. It's almost enough to make me go back to WLP090.

I wonder if it's a mainstream strain of Belgian yeast and we just don't know it yet. Can you describe the Belgian qualities you are getting?

I wonder if it's a mainstream strain of Belgian yeast and we just don't know it yet. Can you describe the Belgian qualities you are getting?

Similar to what JPBrewer said, but much lighter. It's nowhere never the flavor one would get from a Stone Cali-Belgique or a Flying Dog Raging *****. I would describe my Heady clone as about 90% California Ale yeast and 10% hardcore Belgian yeast, however my gravity was already down to 1.009 before I even let my temperature get up to 68* so I imagine it would taste a lot more Belgian if my initial temperatures were higher. My Conan starter beers often taste about 30-50% Belgian, and I try not to let them get much over 70* for the first 50-75% of attenuation, but then I pour the beer off the yeast and fully attenuate it with dry hops at room temperature (~76*), which is a great way to test dry hop combinations...and why waste beer.

Just my two cents: I got my yeast from Yeast Geek and it by no means went bad. The yeast character is slightly peachy and balances really nicely with hops. I've never had real HT, but if it's anything like this, it's a great beer. :)

EDIT: FYI, my yeast from YG was shipped on Oct. 2nd. That batch seems to have been a good one! :D

Just a heads up, months ago I emailed the alchemist asking about their yeast and they did confirm that it is English in origin.

I'm not sure what crappy conan everyone had been using. I cultured mine about a year ago from some cans and it has been awesome with lots of peach and great attenuation.

Petekiteworld said:
I'm not sure what crappy conan everyone had been using. I cultured mine about a year ago from some cans and it has been awesome with lots of peach and great attenuation.

Mine from Yeast Geek is the same, although I had to build it up a few times from the thimbelful of yeast they sent.

eandersen said:
Just a heads up, months ago I emailed the alchemist asking about their yeast and they did confirm that it is English in origin.

There has been a lot of talk that The Alchemist changed their yeast a while back. I wonder if this is pre or post that thought that they changed the strain. Have a batch going on wlp001 and cultures from a can via a friend right now. We shall see.

+1

There is a nice dialogue on themadfermentationist.com under his Conan ipa or Conan yeast blog entry.

Right. Hill Farmstead said they stopped using Conan, referenced The Alchemist during the interview and said "we stopped using Conan". BYO thought they meant Hill & The Alchemist, but they just mean Hill.

Conan definitely has great attenuation, I got my FG down to 1.005 from 1.070 OG, but it was pretty well known to me even before I cultured it that it could produce Belgian esters at temperatures above 70*, that's just the nature of the yeast. Therefore I would advise anyone who doesn't have some type of system to keep a steady temperature of 68* to err on the side of keeping temperatures much lower.

So Conan would be perfect for a Belgium IPA right?

No it wouldn't be appropriate for a "Belgian" IPA, sorry pet peeve of mine. So long as its a healthy culture and fermented well Conan is suited for many styles but I would never classify it as Belgian. In my experience at least.

Petekiteworld said:
I made a belgian stout with it.... not the best hybrid choice...

Maybe a stout with stone fruits (plums, cherries, peaches) an an abbey ale yeast instead ??? Wlp530 comes to mind...

No it wouldn't be appropriate for a "Belgian" IPA, sorry pet peeve of mine. So long as its a healthy culture and fermented well Conan is suited for many styles but I would never classify it as Belgian. In my experience at least.

So it gives off Belgium type notes when coerced, but it doesn't give off good Belgium notes is what you are saying?

So it gives off Belgium type notes when coerced, but it doesn't give off good Belgium notes is what you are saying?

I have never gotten anything Belgian from Conan in over a year of using the strain, its always come across as a non flocculent English strain to me.

There are tons of great Belgian strains out there to use instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I have never gotten anything Belgian from Conan in over a year of using the strain, its always come across as a non flocculent English strain to me.

There are tons of great Belgian strains out there to use instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I agree there are a ton of great Belgium strains already out there! But I was just thinking about how well this specific strain accentuates the hops as well, but to be honest I don't have "too" much experience with Belgium strains so I am not sure what Belgium strains accentuate hops in addition to being a tried and true belgium strain :)

Oh and I've def gotten some belgium'y notes from fermenting conan too high. I am sure we are all getting different generations as well as somewhat mutated conan

Back