Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting on the train here. I cultured conan and stepped it three times. Ready to brew tomorrow. My question is this. How can I be sure my yeast is good? Check for off smell? Something else that would make it look "bad". I was sanitary as possible with everything. Just a want to be sure before i pitch. Don't want a 10 gallon batch of prohibition beer in my fermenters. Any input is appreciated. And Vegan, you rock! Thanks for all your effort!

Are you sure that stepping up dregs only three times is enough to produce an adequate cell count to ferment 10 gallons of 1.071 OG beer with?

www.yeastcalc.com

theveganbrewer said:
Whoa, this turned really cat pissy over the last couple days. Not sure if it's just where I drew off the keg, or if the Simcoe is too much in the dry hop. Consider yourselves warned! I like it, but it might be wise to go with 1.5 ounces Simcoe if you're going to drink it super fresh.

That can depend so much on the Simcoe harvest too. That's where I think we're really getting screwed on this too, is the exact same hops can vary. Some Simcoe hops are really piney and citrusy, others are like essence of cat piss. Personally I love the piss lol.. But I got very little of that in HT.

That can depend so much on the Simcoe harvest too. That's where I think we're really getting screwed on this too, is the exact same hops can vary. Some Simcoe hops are really piney and citrusy, others are like essence of cat piss. Personally I love the piss lol.. But I got very little of that in HT.

You'd be drooling over this one then. I find Columbus can be really hit or miss too, I had a good fresh batch this go around and it made a big difference.

You'd be drooling over this one then. I find Columbus can be really hit or miss too, I had a good fresh batch this go around and it made a big difference.

Columbus can definitely vary greatly... it is often viewed as merely a commodity hop due to its high AA, and thus, not always enough of a focus on its aroma (be it at the farm, or just in general). I know I saw somewhere that Lagunitas recommended keen attention to the Columbus aroma if cloning one of their beers, I think Hop Stoopid.

Whoa, this turned really cat pissy over the last couple days. Not sure if it's just where I drew off the keg, or if the Simcoe is too much in the dry hop. Consider yourselves warned! I like it, but it might be wise to go with 1.5 ounces Simcoe if you're going to drink it super fresh.

I had the honor of tasting this today and I thought it was fantastic. I have never had the original but this was one tasty beer. It was great meeting you today.

You too, good luck with your clone and the Conan. To everyone else, one thing we discussed was going down to 8 ounces of caramalt next time to get the sweetness a bit lower. It's surprisingly sweet and creamy for something with such a low FG.

Is cutting back the dry hop Simcoe all you'd change for dry hops? I brewed 4.0 and have not dry hopped yet

theveganbrewer said:
Yeah, everything is well balanced other than that.

Vegan /all - I plan on brewing v4 on Saturday. I've been catching up on this thread and hope I caught all. A drop of caramalt to 8 oz and reduction of sim or in dry hop are only recommended changes? I don't have Amarillo so was going to sub in zythos. Any recommendations much appreciated.

I sent in a request to wyeast lab to sell the conan yeast. I got a nice response on how they were reminded of the great beers of the east coast and they may think of doing a yeast strain or two.

Perhaps if some of others from time to time request it, we could see another supplier of this strain.

ECY is working on a Conan strain, no word on when it will come out.

I have 2 questions. If I did a mini-mash of say 4.5 pounds of pearl would it blend well with light DME or should I use extra light?

Also can you keep your dregs to make a starter? I will probably get a 4 pack of Heady but I was wondering if there was a way to keep stuff.

Vegan /all - I plan on brewing v4 on Saturday. I've been catching up on this thread and hope I caught all. A drop of caramalt to 8 oz and reduction of sim or in dry hop are only recommended changes? I don't have Amarillo so was going to sub in zythos. Any recommendations much appreciated.

Yup, that's it. Oh, well, add 4 ounces to the Pearl to get the OG back up to 1.074.

Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG** *Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

It looks like you and another person who posted mentioned lower FG readings than you were targeting. Were you targeting 1.014 just because the software calculated that to be the number? I prefer a drier beer, given the choice, but I've had this beer in cans, and it seems to finish bigger than 1.010.

You also mention fermenting at 68 degrees. Is that the ambient temperature of your fermentation chamber, or the internal temperature of the beer that is fermenting?

I'm trying to make an educated guess on why your beer finished 4 points lower than anticipated, and whether fermentation temp should be lower, or if the mash temp should be increased.

It looks like you and another person who posted mentioned lower FG readings than you were targeting. Were you targeting 1.014 just because the software calculated that to be the number? I prefer a drier beer, given the choice, but I've had this beer in cans, and it seems to finish bigger than 1.010.

You also mention fermenting at 68 degrees. Is that the ambient temperature of your fermentation chamber, or the internal temperature of the beer that is fermenting?

I'm trying to make an educated guess on why your beer finished 4 points lower than anticipated, and whether fermentation temp should be lower, or if the mash temp should be increased.

Ferment at beer temperature of 68, not ambient.

It was a while back that we discussed it, but I'll bring it up again. Heady gets to 1.010 and 1.012 on occasion. It has in the past also come out at 1.014. I haven't heard any reports of it being back up at 1.014 after John started using fresher yeast, so I think now it's a 1.010-1.012 beer. It does definitely taste bigger than that, but I've tested it numerous times to verify final gravities.

On this recipe, that first number is calculated by Beersmith, based on mash and grain. I didn't have my yeast plugged in during that calculation. I just went in and added Conan, at 82% attenuation, and it was estimated at 1.008. I did just decarb mine last night and I was at 1.009. I doubt you end up at 1.014, and I wouldn't target that because it'd be way too sweet. I personally disliked Heady that was at 1.014.

Like I mentioned a few posts up though, this does not taste like a 1.010 beer, it's got a hint of sweetness and is really creamy. That's like the real thing though. I think lowering the caramalt to 8 ounces should bring this into a bit better balance.

you guys think the Munton's Pearl Malt is much different than the Thomas Fawcett?

Yes.

Not much to say other than Fawcett malts are unique to say the least in their specific flavor profiles and properties, and given about 90% of the malt profile of heady is fawcett pearl, i highly suspect and imagine you would notice a difference. will it be a bad beer? certainly not. will it be heady topper? no. just like all the other substitution questions, won't make a bad beer, but this is a clone thread...

Not the same.. TF Pearl is floor-malted, so it should technically be a much more unique tasting product. I haven't used either yet but I know the difference between floor malted MO and regular is significant.

Not the same.. TF Pearl is floor-malted, so it should technically be a much more unique tasting product. I haven't used either yet but I know the difference between floor malted MO and regular is significant.

This. My hop shots from NB arrived, my hops from farmhouse supply arrived, still haven't gotten shipping confirmation from midwest a week later... don't worry, there's a thread for that. Hopefully brew up 4.0 w/ 8 oz caramalt and a little less simcoe next weekend. :tank:

YG001 looking set for late June release. Will be about 50 vials. Will post updates once I get them. Follow @yeastgeek for updates.

This sounds really good. I can't find any HT to harvest dregs, but I sure can buy some 'substitute' yeast. I've never heard of yeast geek before though. Is that some type of new venture? http://twitter.com/yeastgeek only has two posts, one of which says wait for YG001 Green Mountain Ale Yeast.

Yeah, my friend and I are setting it up. I have sold yeast from a brewery in the NE before but never wanted to do it big until I had someone on board that knew a lot more about this stuff. My friend has a good working knowledge and is doing all the hard stuff right now. Hopefully this is like a Chris White/Jamil thing, I'll lend my brewing knowledge and test strains in beer and he'll isolate stuff and keep things clean. They'll be more offerings down the road this year, but 1st will be YG001.

Yeah, my friend and I are setting it up. I have sold yeast from a brewery in the NE before but never wanted to do it big until I had someone on board that knew a lot more about this stuff. My friend has a good working knowledge and is doing all the hard stuff right now. Hopefully this is like a Chris White/Jamil thing, I'll lend my brewing knowledge and test strains in beer and he'll isolate stuff and keep things clean. They'll be more offerings down the road this year, but 1st will be YG001.

What happens when you get to strain #1000?

Dude! Awesome! :mug:

Anybody willing to send me a vial of conan yeast? I'll pay handsomely (paypal) and I'll pay for the courier cost (Think it will have to come by courier to give it a chance to survive all the way to South Africa)

Please please pretty please !!

FaanPret said:
Anybody willing to send me a vial of conan yeast? I'll pay handsomely (paypal) and I'll pay for the courier cost (Think it will have to come by courier to give it a chance to survive all the way to South Africa)

Please please pretty please !!

Doubtful something like that would make it through customs, especially on our end.

That is an option .... but where to get the 4 pack?

You can try the forum here, there may be a Vermonter (it appears to be *only* available in vermont these days) that will trade you: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/

Otherwise you could try the beer trading forum over at beeradvocate which draws from a slightly different crowd.

EDIT: i was going to mention seekabrew but that seems to cater to the U.S. only. You might be able to use it to find someone offering, however. You should start thinking about what locals you have access to, in order to make a valuable proposition.

Good luck.

Forgot to mention I was in step 4 two days before brewing. Pulled a 77% eff and hit the 1.071 dead on. Had tried to tone the abv's down a bit, by making it 11 gallons, but oh well! Starter appeared to have a truckload of yeast. Ferm took off in 7 hours. Ill post back.

Vegan,

Sorry if I missed this, but are your aroma steep additions put in when a specific temperature is reached and held there for the specified time of 30 minutes? Do you continue to cool after the additions are put in or do you hold it at that specific temp?

Ivebeen unable to find turbinado - can I sub in brown sugar or corn sugar? Which is best

I hold it between 160-180, depending on how quickly it drops. Usually I turn on the chiller for a couple minutes, get it to 180, drop the additions in, then it settles in around 170-175. Hold it there for 30, then turn the chiller back on and get it down to pitch temp.

Latest posts

Back