Heading to CO and UT in September--ideas for must-visit breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're doing a month-long road trip to see some National Parks in CO and UT. Will be staying the first night in Chadron, NE, then on to Rocky Mountain NP (staying in Estes Park), then to the Grand Junction area, to Moab and across Utah for the Big 5 parks. We might make it as far west as Great Basin NP, then head back across southern Utah and Colo to Sand Dunes NP, and up I-25 through Co. Springs and Denver on the way home.

We won't be spending much time in Denver, maybe a few hours, tops, as we pass through. Denver breweries will be another trip in itself. :)

So, any good ideas for breweries to hit around some of those places? Breweries that have food would be a plus, as we'd probably make it dinner/beers.

The towns we would have the most time include Estes Park, Grand Junction, Moab, Cedar City, Durango, Alamosa.

Thanks!

I've done similar trips before and it is definitely worth it for the parks. Use BreweryMap for breweries on your approximate route.

I can't speak for the route to CO but I would recommend hitting up Weldwerks in Greeley. No food but great beer. There's tons of other options in Ft. Collins and Loveland on the way to Estes Park.

There's a few in Estes Park and around Grand Junction but I can't vouch for any of these.

Once you hit Utah it's going to be a different story. Strange laws and lack of options in the areas near the national parks. There's Moab Brewing/Distillery in Moab and Zion Brewery in Springdale, both serve food. Cedar City seems to have 1 brewery.

Cortez, Durango, and Alamosa seem to have options. Hopefully lo locals chime in with recommendations.

Depending on your route consider hitting up Mesa Verde National Park. Great Basin is interesting for the bristlecone pine groves.

One thing to consider doing is to bring cans/bottles from your local breweries that aren't available in NE/CO/UT/NV. Give them out when you're at a brewery/brewpub/bottle shop. Some places I got blank stares but in other places I've received beer in return, T-shirts, merchandise, etc.

I live in Salt Lake City, there are a couple around here that are decent (Epic, 2Row, The Bohemian, Uinta) southern Utah is pretty sparse on Breweries, it is all FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints) territory. You'll see some of the prettiest country in the world and meet some of the weirdest people in the U.S. There is Moab brewing there, they are not bad, but nothing to write home about. Every time I head out to southern Utah, I always make sure I bring some good beers in a cooler because I am not going to find much of a selection.

If you find your in Durango, definitely check out Carver Brewing Co and Steamworks.

If your driving the I-25 Front Range, you're going to have more breweries than your liver can take. One of my favorite breweries is O'Dell Brewing in Fort Collins.

In Estes, Estes Park Brewery is so-so at best. Lumpy Ridge has no food but the beer is ok as I remember and they have a good view from the patio. The place itself is very small. If you go ask if Wade is there and tell him “cool dude” said hello - he designed the logo I have and does a lot of original artwork around the place.

Do you like whiskey? I’d recommend the Whiskey Bar at the Stanley Hotel. I’d recommend visiting the Stanley regardless!

Thanks for all the tips! Looks like Estes Park, Grand Junction, and some towns in S. CO will be my best bets. Durango and Alamosa are on our stop list, due to the nearby NPs. I didn't expect much in S. UT, though I'll have to try the place in Moab. And the whiskey bar at the Stanley sounds like a must, and I do likes me some good whiskey. If we make it to Lumpy Ridge, I'll say hi for you, Murphys!

We're leaving in a few days, and I'm stoked.

Edit: I tried the Brewery Map thing. Works great on my PC, but doesn't work on my Android phone--just keeps searching when I enter a location. Probably needs a plugin, or something.

Last edited:
Also, look up the area called the Palisade outside of Grand Junction. Wineries, breweries, meaderies, distilleries. BTW, they make awesome bloody marys out there!
20170621_191309.jpeg

Ska Brewery in Durango is a must. You'll find the beer laws in Utah to be "interesting".

I've basically accepted that fact about Utah. My brother used to live in SLC several years ago and he talked about bars having the "zion wall" keeping the booze pouring away from the drinkers.

I'll check out Ska, as we plan to stay a night or two in Durango, which sounds like a cool town. And Grand Junction sounds like it has a few good ones...thanks.

On another note, I was on one of those taproom search sites and found a new brewery in Colorado City, AZ. What makes that noteworthy is that Colo City is just across the border from Hildale, UT, the latter town basically being owned by the FLDS and the place where Warren Jeffs had his "compound." We'll be driving right through there on the way to the North Rim, so might have to stop in.

No breweries on the North Rim [emoji3] Sounds like you are taking a similar trip to what I did last summer. My wife and I had a great time. My son has moved to Grand Junction so we are really getting to explore that area.

It's been a long time since I'd been out that way. Last time was a family trip to Grand Canyon (S. Rim), Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Co. Springs area in 1973. I want to go back to some of those; and the big 5 in Utah, none of which I had ever visited. Now that I have the time to do it.

When are you going? We're going out there for Thanksgiving, and according to my son, the parks are basically free as there are no wardens working the entrances that time of year.

Leaving later this week. Even though kids are back at school, and the crowds will subside a bit, it's still not quite shoulder season. Some of those parks may still be busy--especially Zion. We're not campers, and planning to stay at hotels or B&Bs. Aside from the first few nights we don't have reservations, so we're free to change our route on the fly. If something is booked, we'll move on to another. We don't mind traveling that way, done it a few times. Some parks, like Great Basin and Capitol Reef, are a little more out of the way and should be less crowded.

Entrance fees aren't an issue, as we have a Nat'l Parks pass.

I'll check out Ska, as we plan to stay a night or two in Durango, which sounds like a cool town. And Grand Junction sounds like it has a few good ones...thanks.

Ska is amazing, I drink tons of it. Durango is an outdoorsman’s paradise. The train is super expensive, but worth it.

Since you'll be coming down from NE, be sure to stop at Odell in Fort Collins. Odell is pretty much nationwide as far as distribution goes for their usual stuff, so nothing special there, but they always have a great selection of small batch brews exclusive to the taproom. And speaking of their taproom, it's one of the best I've seen. Just a great setup for both indoor and outdoor seating. Fort Collins has a metric crap-ton of breweries, but Odell is by far my favorite local spot due to the combination of great brews and an awesome seating setup. New Belgium is just down the street from Odell and has a very nice taproom as well, but I think Odell has better beer, or at least the selection is more varied. As mentioned above, Weldwerks is pretty good and has really started to make a name for itself up here, but will likely be a bit out of your way to make it over to the east side of Greeley. Right off Hwy 34 in Loveland (before you head up the canyon to Estes) are Verboten and Grimm Brothers, both great local breweries, then you could grab some lunch/dinner at Henry's Pub, which serves up great food and features local brews. All three of those are within a few blocks of each other in downtown Loveland. If you go up to Estes via Hwy 66 through Longmont and Lyons, you could hit Oskar Blues in Lyons, which also has great food and most excellent beer. The Lyons brew pub is their original location before they hit the big time.

In Estes Park, as mentioned above, Lumpy Ridge has pretty good beer, but the place is very, very small. I mean like room for about six people in the little taproom that once was a gas station office, but there is a fair amount of outdoor seating. Also in Estes is Rock Cut Brewery, which has some very good beer and a pretty decent tap room to sit and relax for a spell. I agree with the above poster that Estes Park Brewery isn't worth your time. The beer is so-so, and the food is very much forgettable. Smokin' Dave's BBQ, on the other hand is a great joint for food in Estes and they have a good tap list to go with it. Maybe hit Lumpy Ridge, then Rock Cut for a brew or two, then head over to Smokin' Dave's for Dinner. While you're in Estes, grab some breakfast at the Big Horn Restaurant.

On the other side of the divide, Palisade is the place for Colorado wine. There are some excellent wineries in Palisade and the area is small, so you could hit several in a couple hours. If you are at all looking for/interested in picking up some great Colorado wine, definitely stop at Hermosa, Maison La Belle Vie, DeBeque Canyon, and Veraison Wineries (if I were to pick only one, it would be Hermosa, hands down, followed by Maison La Belle Vie). If you like mead (and even if you don't think you like mead), check out Meadery of the Rockies, also in the town of Palisade. If it's beer you want, grab a brew and some lunch/dinner at Rock Slide Brewery in downtown Grand Junction. There's also Palisade Brewing, but it's rather mediocre and nothing to get too excited about... Rock Slide is much better with respect to both beer and food.

Latest posts

Back