Traveling to the Canadian Rockies and Washington in Sep - breweries to visit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
September is our time for long road trips and we're heading on a 3-week trip northwest. Starting out across Manitoba and Saskatchewan and on to the Canadian Rockies. Then west across southern British Columbia, and into Washington. Visiting several national parks in both Canada and the US. No doubt there will be countless breweries along the way, but wanted to pick the brains of HBT members to find some don't-miss opportunities along the way.

Here are some of the places we will be hitting:

Going through Regina, Saskatoon, North Battleford, Lloydminster, Edmonton, to the national parks in AB/BC.

Jasper, Banff, Canmore, Alberta; and Radium Hot Springs, Field, and Golden, BC.

Then we head west through Revelstoke, BC, and south along the Okanagan valley through Vernon, Kelowna, Osoyoos, BC.

Then across the border into WA at Oroville, through Winthrop, across North Cascades NP, and west to Anacortes.

Olympic NP, around Port Angeles, and we'll take the ferry to Victoria, BC for a day or two.

Then we will head home on I-90/94 through Spokane, Coeur d' Alene, and across Montana and North Dakota to home.

Any ideas would be welcome!

I can’t help you with the Canadian leg of your trip. Even though I can, literally, see Canada from my front yard, I haven’t been there in more than 10 years.

However, since your return leg takes you all the way across Montana, I can recommend numerous places to eat and drink.

In Missoula, Kettlehouse, Big Sky, and Bayern are commercial scale breweries which also have taprooms. All have some excellent beers. Bayern is a real German brewery where real German beer is made by real Germans, if you like that sort of thing. Tamarack brewing is a more intimate, local brewpub whch features both excellent beer and good food.

Bozeman, like Missoula, is a college town, and has dozens of brewpubs and beer bars, along with several commercial breweries. Bozeman Brewing and Madison River Brewing are the two largest commercial breweries. Both have taprooms and some really good beers. Montana Ale Works and Nordic Brew Works are upscale bar food restaurants which are also brewpubs. Both have a wide assortment of craft beers besides their own brews.

Billings has 7 or 8 brewpubs and taprooms, 2 of which (Überbrew and Montana Brewing Company) also have excellent food. As the largest city in the state, Billings also has a lot of other attractions.

I live in Billings part of the time. Shoot me a PM when you’re getting close to the Montana leg of your trip. If the timing works out we could have dinner, do a pub crawl, whatever works.

Thanks! I'll try to PM you when we're on our way back, and maybe we could meet up for a beer if the timing works out. We will be going right by Billings on I-90.

We were in MT in 2013, and had visited Bayern. I really enjoyed their beers.

Well it worked out and gramma and grampamark met Max and Mrs. Stout for dinner and some local brews in Billings. We then adjourned to our house to sample some homebrew. Behold Max in grandpa's kitchen with a couple of growlers.

20190921_205920.jpg

Thanks for a great evening!

Back