Head Retention Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

In my quest to brew a better beer, one of the things I've been looking at lately is head retention. Now that I have five beers in my keezer, I've got a wide range to compare. My stout always has a nice head on it, but that's not really a fair comparison since it's on beer gas, so I'm ignoring that one in this post.

My IPA pours the nicest head of the CO2 beers - it laces nicely in the glass and lasts to the end. On the other side of the spectrum is my Irish Red - it starts with a nice head, but it sounds like a freshly poured Pepsi (lots of fizzing) and you can literally see the bubbles merge and burst. A few minutes later there is no head at all. My Scottish and Trappist ales fall somewhere in between.

The latest issue of Brew Your Own has a nice article on head retention. It gives a lot of detail on what helps and what hinders head retention in beer. For the rest of this post I'd like to gather your advise on what I can do to improve it in my beers. The article breaks the factors down into several categories; I'm focusing on some of these.

Cleanliness - Detergent, Grease or Soap Residues

Brewing Equipment- I am currently using Oxyclean Free (no dyes, perfumes, etc.) to clean my equipment. I know many of the powder cleansers are difficult to completely rinse away, so I try to rinse very thoroughly. However, I'm wondering if it's still leaving something behind. Is there a better cleaner to use that rinses better? Is there some kind of rinse aid to make sure the soap residue is gone, and does that add additional rinsing issues?

Glassware - I use Palmolive Pure + Clear (no fragrances or dyes) to wash my glasses, making sure to rinse them well. Is there anything else I can do to make sure the glasses are clean? One thing I don't do right now is chill the glasses; I might try putting them in the refrigerator for a while before using them - I'm guessing a 40 degree beer hitting a 75 degree glass isn't the best combination.

As long as I'm on the topic of glassware, I've noticed that my glasses are nice and clear after I wash them, but they start getting cloudy after they sit for a while. Any idea what causes that and is there a way to avoid it? I've tried storing them right side up as well as upside down.

Foam Reinforcers

Proteins - I brew partial mash, and one of the changes I've recently implemented is a late addition of the malt extract. The BYO article says that proteins in the beer help stabilize foam, and that extract brewing can reduce that, so a late addition is recommended. The Irish Red was the last beer I brewed, and I did hold back half the LME until the last ten minutes of the boil, but as I stated above, this beer has the worst head retention of my five.

Foam Reinforcers - I've noticed that when I plug my recipes into Beer Smith, many of the specialty grains included in the kits have the added advantage of improving head retention. The article mentions adding a small amount of flaked wheat or barley to reinforce the foam. I was wondering if any of you make additions like that and if small amounts have any impact on the flavor of the beer you are brewing?

Heading Agents

This part of the article was very interesting, reading about how commercial brewers have added everything from cobalt salts to sulfuric acid to try to increase head retention. The article says the only one still in use are alginates; they recommend trying propylene glycol alginate if you go this route. I was wondering if any of you have tried that, and if so, how well it works and if you find it impacts the beer's flavor at all?

That's pretty much everything I got from the article. Are there any other things I can try to improve the head retention on my beers?

Thanks as always for all your help!

I throw a pound of wheat malt into the mash for many of my recipes, to assist with head. I don't think it impacts the flavor of most beers and generally I'm pleased with my beers head formation and retention.

8oz of flaked barley adds head retention and a bit of crisp malt flavor. A pound is even better but can leave you with some chill haze.

For extract brewing ive found addin1/4 to 1/2 cup of oats to my steeping grains soles any head problems. As long as you dont put very much it clears very easy, imo.

Except for some very very dry beers i might not do this as thats the point of them, but never had a problem with it and always get good head.

Wheat malt, carapils, oatmeal, and flaked barley will all give you better head retention and lacing.

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like I'll need to add some additional grains (wheat, barley or oats) to my next kit and see how it goes.

Since I brew partial mash, which normally has a fairly small amount of specialty grains (usually a pound or so), I assume I don't want to add too much other grain. Or would that not really matter with all the LME or DME that would also be used?

Thanks again!

If you add unmalted grains you'll need to mash with enough malted barley to convert it. Flaked barley, flaked oats and wheat should be mashed with base malt. American six-row malts can tolerate up to 50 percent adjunct, and American two-row can tolerate up to 30 percent. British malt used in a single-infusion mash can tolerate up to 20 percent. Carapils and Crystal malt add head retention but don't need to be mashed, only steeped.

Back