He Scores! 16 crate milk cooler!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I'm a control panel and some odds and ends away from getting my new 1bbl brewery up and running. Moving from 10 gal brewing and 5 gal cornys to 1bbl brewing and 15.5 gallon Sankeys presents some challenges one of which is storing and serving from 1/2 bbl kegs.

So I've been hunting and searching for things I could make into a kegerator capable of holding some volume, at least 4 Sankey's. I knew if I went the chest freezer route I was looking at building a collar and I was concerned about the bottom withstanding the weight of 4 Sankey's. I was considering building a walk in cooler. But I have remodel an entire basement into Mancave 3.0 plus building Brewery 3.0 so money was a concern in building a walk in. Plus space, its a smallish basement.

So i searched and searched then this showed up. A HBT'er who uses one helped me with some questions and then I knew this was what I wanted. Bur I thought this was too good to be true. A 16 crate 1 sided milk cooler for $325???

This looked like an awesome kegerator just waiting to happen. They go for $2K+ new.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/beverage-air-sm58n-w-white-milk-cooler-1-sided-58-1-2/185SM58NW.html

They were selling it for $325. I was leery but god bless church groups it was legit. Had them plug it in and put a cup of water in it the night before I came to check it out. Looks and works perfectly. All stainless steel interior. It will hold 5 Sankey's at least an maybe even 2 or 3 cornys in between.

They were like sooooo it works will the $325 be OK for a price? And they seemed to hold their breath. I think I could have dickered them down on the price but I didn't have the heart as I felt I was getting a screaming deal already. I happily handed them the cash. They even helped load it. It rolls beautifully on heavy duty casters but it weighs over 300 lbs empty. I will need to put a new doorway into my mancave to fit the cooler into it as its 31" wide and my doorway is only 29". But I'll gladly do it.

00o0o_40L9GfV4UU3_600x450.jpg

00y0y_13SCC3gJI0p_600x450.jpg

The flip down front door is great for loading/unloading kegs. I'm doing some revisions on my keezer. I might have to incorporate that somehow.

Very cool!

You may get lucky with the door--the rough opening of the doorway is probably about 2" wider than the nominal size of the door itself.

Perhaps you can carefully remove door, frame, and adjusting wedges and shakes and see what you'll get.

If you remove the trim, you should be able to see what the rough opening is. Good luck, and post a pic when you finally get it set up.

Nice catch, please post some pics after you've got it converted, and filled up! Since you're going to make the door larger, I'd suggest going 36" if you have the room. You never know what other steals you might pick up down the road, and the cost is the same.

The door really needed to be replaced so its not a big deal. The rough opening is right at 36". It's the foundation walls so there's no making it bigger.

I do plan on painting it at some point.

The doors will be very handy loading full sankeys with my overhead hoist ;)

Even with a new door its gonna be a bear getting it down the hill from the garage and into the basement. I might try to do it before spring might be easier sledding it down on the snow and ice.

I think you might have clearance issues fitting in corneys or sankes because of height. I almost bought one of these for $200 but my corney would not fit.

Great deal. A few years back I bought a 2nd hand double door SS commercial fridge from a church that wanted to down size for two bills. I was heavy into BBQ so it had its upside. It gave me many years of good service. Hope you find the same in your purchase.

Sorry I forgot the tape measure but u can guess the height from the Sanke. Like I said just gotta use the low clearance couplers.

IMG_20160124_130258.jpg

I'm a control panel and some odds and ends away from getting my new 1bbl brewery up and running. Moving from 10 gal brewing and 5 gal cornys to 1bbl brewing and 15.5 gallon Sankeys presents some challenges one of which is storing and serving from 1/2 bbl kegs.

So I've been hunting and searching for things I could make into a kegerator capable of holding some volume, at least 4 Sankey's. I knew if I went the chest freezer route I was looking at building a collar and I was concerned about the bottom withstanding the weight of 4 Sankey's. I was considering building a walk in cooler. But I have remodel an entire basement into Mancave 3.0 plus building Brewery 3.0 so money was a concern in building a walk in. Plus space, its a smallish basement.

So i searched and searched then this showed up. A HBT'er who uses one helped me with some questions and then I knew this was what I wanted. Bur I thought this was too good to be true. A 16 crate 1 sided milk cooler for $325???

This looked like an awesome kegerator just waiting to happen. They go for $2K+ new.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/beverage-air-sm58n-w-white-milk-cooler-1-sided-58-1-2/185SM58NW.html

They were selling it for $325. I was leery but god bless church groups it was legit. Had them plug it in and put a cup of water in it the night before I came to check it out. Looks and works perfectly. All stainless steel interior. It will hold 5 Sankey's at least an maybe even 2 or 3 cornys in between.

They were like sooooo it works will the $325 be OK for a price? And they seemed to hold their breath. I think I could have dickered them down on the price but I didn't have the heart as I felt I was getting a screaming deal already. I happily handed them the cash. They even helped load it. It rolls beautifully on heavy duty casters but it weighs over 300 lbs empty. I will need to put a new doorway into my mancave to fit the cooler into it as its 31" wide and my doorway is only 29". But I'll gladly do it.

Did you ever make a kegerator out of this?

I got that me of these for a kegerator project as well. Was hoping to see your finished product.

Honestly all I'm going to do is put kegs in it and use picnic taps. I don't want to drill any holes in it. I'll post pics in the next couple weeks. I need to hire a moving company to move it from my garage and into my house. The garage is accross the street and up hill. And it has to go in the back door which is the only doorway big enough.

Honestly all I'm going to do is put kegs in it and use picnic taps. I don't want to drill any holes in it. I'll post pics in the next couple weeks. I need to hire a moving company to move it from my garage and into my house. The garage is accross the street and up hill. And it has to go in the back door which is the only doorway big enough.

I may start a new thread of my build. I got a 4 head secondary regulator and lines and shanks and faucets.(intertap)

Starting with 4 and may go to 7 or 8.

Back