HDPE buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
Hello,
I racked my cider into a secondary fermenter to clear. After a few days I noticed that the airlock was not bubbling, in fact the center piece of the 3 piece airlock I have was all the way down. I know I dont have a air leak, because when I push slightly on the lid the center piece rises. If the lid has a good seal and the stopper is seated right, I should have an air tight bucket.
So I did some research and came to find out that only PET plastic enclosures are not air permeability. HDPE can pass air, not very well, but it does pass air. There buckets are great for primary, I would not trust them for secondary.
Question: What would happen to fermented cider if left open to the air, Vinegar?
The reason I ask is I have two buckets both with 4 gallons of cider in the secondary stage. Any harm?

Thanks,
Tom

Cider is usually done or nearly done fermenting when racked to secondary, so an airlock not bubbling days later is fine.

Oxygen is an enemy of fermented cider. There should be as little headspace as possible in secondary. Four gallons in secondary is a bad idea if you are using 5 gallon buckets. I would fill one bucket and move the balance to a smaller container. Possibly a smaller bucket or a few glass gallon wine jugs.

Hi Tom,

I'm by no means an expert, but here's my 2 cents...

Last year I fermented 45 gallons of cider in buckets. I left them in primary's for 2 months and then racked them (into sanitized buckets) and left them there for an additional 4 months. My cider was mainly dry with no carbonation. Bottled in wine bottles with corks and six months later it had developed nicely.

That being said, this year I've got 42 gallons currently in secondary carboys, and another 50 gallons in a wine cask. I have read somewhere that the old timers would put a bit of olive oil to float on top of the cider to protect it from oxygen. If your going to stay the bucket route it may be worth trying some olive oil in one and not the other.

...now i'll let the experts tell you to pony up for a carboy or two.

Jimmy

Back