HBT NFL mock draft '10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't Minnesota be calling up Green Bay (or maybe at least Philly, if GB won't deal with them) and trying to move up right about now? Seems that the Vikes could use Jimmy Clausen. Let him sit on the bench and learn for a year or two until Favre hangs them up, then they've got their QB of the future.

What's the cost of moving up six or seven picks, late in the first round? Maybe a third-round pick? Would Minny give up their (late) third rounder to Green Bay to select at #23 and take Clausen?

EDIT: Don't see anyone else late in the first round who needs a QB. Green Bay has Rodgers. Philly's staked their future on Kolb. Baltimore has Flacco. Arizona's got a bit of uncertainty, but doesn't seem ready to get rid of Leinhart. Dallas has Romo. San Diego has Rivers. Jets have Sanchez. Indy has Manning, and New Orleans has Brees.

With the exception of Minnesota and maybe Arizona, every team this late in the draft has a good, young QB. If Clausen falls this far, I've got to believe that SOMEONE will move up to draft him - be it Buffalo, or Cleveland, or Seattle.

Shouldn't Minnesota be calling up Green Bay (or maybe at least Philly, if GB won't deal with them) and trying to move up right about now? Seems that the Vikes could use Jimmy Clausen. Let him sit on the bench and learn for a year or two until Favre hangs them up, then they've got their QB of the future.

What's the cost of moving up six or seven picks, late in the first round? Maybe a third-round pick? Would Minny give up their (late) third rounder to Green Bay to select at #23 and take Clausen?

EDIT: Don't see anyone else late in the first round who needs a QB. Green Bay has Rodgers. Philly's staked their future on Kolb. Baltimore has Flacco. Arizona's got a bit of uncertainty, but doesn't seem ready to get rid of Leinhart. Dallas has Romo. San Diego has Rivers. Jets have Sanchez. Indy has Manning, and New Orleans has Brees.

With the exception of Minnesota and maybe Arizona, every team this late in the draft has a good, young QB. If Clausen falls this far, I've got to believe that SOMEONE will move up to draft him - be it Buffalo, or Cleveland, or Seattle.

I actually thought about this, but even draft day trades are rare between division rivals. To be perfectly honest, I expect the Bills to jump on Clausen if he's there at 9. Right now would be a perfect opporunity for them to trade back up and get him.

For Buffalo to move up from 41 to 24 it'll most likely take a 2010 3rd, a 4th and a 5th, or possibly something like a 2010 5th and a 2011 4th.

You're the GM for the Bills, bird... start sending some PM's and see if you can swing a trade!

CBBaron is the GM for the Vikings, if they're going to trade up, it's up to him.

Just remember that I need to approve all trades. Anything within reason will be approved with no problems. even something a bit weighted towards one team or another is no problem. Just shoot me a PM with terms that you agree on.

Given the modified draft format this year, I'll make it known that I'll entertain any and all offers to trade down for the 2nd pick of the 2nd day of the draft (#34 overall).

I can gaurauntee that this pick will never happen because there is no predicting what ozzie newsome is going to do. Hell even most mocks have Batlimore taking a WR or TE for some reason. Their biggest need by far is CB so.....

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Limited Visibility is up next again but he hasn't even logged onto HBT since 03/26 so we might as well start talking about what Arizona should take.

Buffalo would like to propose a trade, moving up from #41 to Arizona's pick. I'll toss in our third rounder this year, and a 3rd rounder in 2011. Sound like fair compensation?

That may actually be a bit too much. Not that it really matters, we're only picking two rounds this year, but this year's second, this year's third, and next year's fourth rounder.

In any case, Buffalo would like this pick.

Who might Arizona be getting a woodie over at this spot where they wouldn't want to trade?

With losing Boldin I could see them drafting someone to try and replace him but I don't think they would turn down that trade.

Too early for Golden Tate? He's probably the best WR left in the draft at this point.

I'm thinking the Bills might move aggressively for a franchise QB, although they also need offensive linemen pretty desperately. I'm proposing the trade, but I'm on the fence because they're so freakin' porous up front. Can get some good interior linemen with 3rd round picks.

They also may be thinking more in the vein of Tebow with their second rounder. Grr...

I'm withdrawing my trade offer!

I could see them taking that trade though though and then trading back up to an earlier 2nd rd and get Tate. Possibly getting philly's 37th that they got from Washington.

that trade sounds fine with me. Move ahead with it if you want, just let me know for sure and I'll update the selection order in the OP.

Yeah, let's do it. Bills are going to trade up. We'll give up the #2, a #3, and a #3 in 2011.

The Bills are going to use Arizona's pick to select Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame.

Hoping that either Ryan Fitzpatrick or the other incumbant QB can hold down the job for a year while Clausen gets acclimated to the NFL (and the Bills rebuild their offensive line).

Bills need a LOT of help, but I'm not sold on Tebow being the answer, and there's no guarantees he'll still be there at #41.

With 3 Safety players already taken, the Cowboys will have to wait to fill that void in another round. Most of the outstanding OL guys are taken, however with versatility favoring him and the chance to bolster a shaky line

Dallas Cowboys select Maurkice Pouncey, OL, Florida

So your letting a tried and true Bronco fan have the pick for the Bolts? Is this a setup?
Hmm...knowing the bolts now have NO running back :D to abuse those AFC West teams without a defensive interior I think the obvious choice would be...

Bendover Anbreak RB, Harper Valley Cosmetology College

Oh, but I can't draft with my heart now can I!!
So I know alot of people would go with Dwyer in this spot but I really liked the speed and quickness to the edge that Best brought to his college game. So with that said the San Diego Chargers take....

Jahvid Best RB, Cal.

The Jets are up already? Wow. Ok - Vernon Gholston is going to come good any day now. But just to tie the Jets' pass-rush over until then, they will use the 29th pick to select Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE, TCU.

The Jets are up already? Wow. Ok - Vernon Gholston is going to come good any day now. But just to tie the Jets' pass-rush over until then, they will use the 29th pick to select Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE, TCU.

That means I'm up for the Vikes.
Missed my opportunity for a trade up to get Clausen (crazy busy at work where I would normally follow this) So I'll have to do some more research.

Be back in a few.

Craig

With the 30th pick the Minnesota Vikings select

CB Devin McCourty

Seems to be a good value pick at a position they could use some depth.

The Colts are selecting Charles ("Don't Call Me Charlie") Brown, OT, from USC.

Colts biggest need is on the offensive line. They've been needing a franchise LT for several years, since the guy whose name I'm forgetting retired.

Rumor is that they're looking potentially to go bigger on the line. Brown's tall but not gignormous for a T (a bit under 300#); seems to be a superior prospect versus someone like Rodger Saffold, though. Scouting reports seem to indicate that Brown's got some very good fundamentals, he just CAN be overwhelmed by power rushers at times.

I guess that means I am up for the saints, huh? Well I have no idea so ill be back in a while with a pick.

The Colts are selecting Charles ("Don't Call Me Charlie") Brown, OT, from USC.

Colts biggest need is on the offensive line. They've been needing a franchise LT for several years, since the guy whose name I'm forgetting retired.

Rumor is that they're looking potentially to go bigger on the line. Brown's tall but not gignormous for a T (a bit under 300#); seems to be a superior prospect versus someone like Rodger Saffold, though. Scouting reports seem to indicate that Brown's got some very good fundamentals, he just CAN be overwhelmed by power rushers at times.

Exactly the player that I was going to recommend for them, but I didn't want to influence your decision. Great pick.

The saints don't really have much immediate need and pretty much should just be looking for depth. I could see them taking a OLB/DE so I am going to go waaay out on a limb and say

Koi Misi, Utah, OLB/DE

The saints don't really have much immediate need and pretty much should just be looking for depth. I could see them taking a OLB/DE so I am going to go waaay out on a limb and say

Koi Misi, Utah, OLB/DE

It's a reach, but not that big of a reach. He has about a mid to late 2nd grade on most boards that I've seen.

danek is on the board for the Rams.

It's a reach, but not that big of a reach. He has about a mid to late 2nd grade on most boards that I've seen.

danek is on the board for the Rams.

Yeah, I know it is a reach but they don't need to fill any spots immediately and I think given a year or two he could be pretty damn good. They just need to work on his pass coverage and bulk him up a little bit.

I think it's a good pick. I was expecting the same position, but a different player.

I will most likely be out of pocket until Sunday, and I'm working on a potential trade, so we may have to hold out until then.

With the 33rd pick of the 2010 NFL draft, the St Louis Rams select Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State. It was tempting to take a wideout like Arrelious Benn here, but I think Odrick's the value pick, and his versatility should really help them out on the D-line.

Cleveland has made a trade with Detroit.

Cleveland gets #34
Detroit gets #38, #134 and a 2011 6th round selection.

CBBaron is now on the clock for the Browns.

Cleveland has made a trade with Detroit.

Cleveland gets #34
Detroit gets #38, #134 and a 2011 6th round selection.

CBBaron is now on the clock for the Browns.

Thanks, ohiobrewtus

With pick #34 (From Detroit) Cleveland Browns select.....
QB Tim Tebow
Browns have several backup QBs and 1 vet with the potential to fill the role for a year but no long term starter. Tebow may not be the big start in the NFL but I think he has a good chance. Ofcourse he has physical abilities but he also has a strong work ethic and dedication. He will need them to improve his mechanics and adapt to an NFL offense.

Craig

BTW ohiobrewtus, when I said OK earlier I was agreeing to those terms. But if you thought I was driving a hard bargain all the better. :D

Glad I traded up to get Clausen, now! Tebow was the backup plan for the Bills at #41.

I do wonder, though... Mike Holmgren has said that he DOESN'T want Clausen, but if he starts to slip he would seem to be a more natural fit. You know that at some point, Holmgren being involved means they'll start running a West Coast offense. I tend to think that he meant he didn't want Clausen at #7 (or wherever they're drafting), but if he does an Aaron Rodgers and starts slipping into the #20 - #22 range, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up and snag him.

Thanks, ohiobrewtus

BTW ohiobrewtus, when I said OK earlier I was agreeing to those terms. But if you thought I was driving a hard bargain all the better. :D

Ya, I totally misunderstood that. Oh well, I still think that the Lions got good value in the trade down.

dataz722 is now on the clock for the Buccaneers.

Glad I traded up to get Clausen, now! Tebow was the backup plan for the Bills at #41.

I do wonder, though... Mike Holmgren has said that he DOESN'T want Clausen, but if he starts to slip he would seem to be a more natural fit. You know that at some point, Holmgren being involved means they'll start running a West Coast offense. I tend to think that he meant he didn't want Clausen at #7 (or wherever they're drafting), but if he does an Aaron Rodgers and starts slipping into the #20 - #22 range, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up and snag him.

I think that is quite possible.
However 2 points:
1. Cleveland needs alot, especially after cleaning house, AGAIN.
2. How different is Clausen from Brady Quinn?

About moving up to take Tebow here.
I was looking at the board thinking there was 2 possible QBs available for the Browns at their pick and that is something I think they would consider.
Then I realized that Oakland had already taken Colt early in the first round and he was not available. But I only needed to move up a couple positions to assure the team of getting a fairly highly ranked QB. Seemed like a good choice for a team who has big needs at the position.

I think that is quite possible.
However 2 points:
1. Cleveland needs alot, especially after cleaning house, AGAIN.
2. How different is Clausen from Brady Quinn?

About moving up to take Tebow here.
I was looking at the board thinking there was 2 possible QBs available for the Browns at their pick and that is something I think they would consider.
Then I realized that Oakland had already taken Colt early in the first round and he was not available. But I only needed to move up a couple positions to assure the team of getting a fairly highly ranked QB. Seemed like a good choice for a team who has big needs at the position.

and you forgot that the browns are one the teams stupid enough to actually draft Tebow.... well see how much holmgren actually changes.

I guess it's time to start thinking about who the Bucs will select.

DE's Carlos Dunlap and Corey Wootton both seem like good options to compliment Gerald McCoy and revamp that DL even more.

Yep, sorry I failed at this. I got the PM while drunk on Saturday and completely forgot about it. They need help on both lines but I haven't really looked into who is left and who would be worthwhile. We can go with either Dunlap or Wooton.

Back