HBT NFL mock draft '10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Passing on Claussen. Had Bradford slipped down, he would have been the logical choice, however there's an option for a later round QB pick that is still better than what they have.

The 'skins have drafted offensive lineman in the first before, and that's who they need to replace right away.

Yes. Passing on Claussen. Had Bradford slipped down, he would have been the logical choice, however there's an option for a later round QB pick that is still better than what they have.

The 'skins have drafted offensive lineman in the first before, and that's who they need to replace right away.

yeah, but its the skins. and they are stupid!

Since their D line is just horrendous....

With the 3rd pick, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma.

I thought about just making that pick for you, since we all knew what it was going to be. :D

Good selection. The Bucs need some help in the trenches and McCoy is a blue chip prospect.

Solid picks in Okung and Berry. I think that Berry is worth a top 5 pick, but I just can't see Scott Pioli investing that pick in a safety (he's publicly said that he doesn't think that the safety position is worth a top 5 pick), but Berry may be too talented to pass up. Other options include reaching for a guy like Dan Williams or one of the other top OT's available like Bryan Baluga or Trent Williams.

neko is on the clock for the Seahawks.

Anyone seen this blog, written by a former scout for the Ravens? He's got Clausen slipping out of the first round entirely. Taylor Mays too.

http://www.movethesticks.com/

I hadn't seen that blog before. If Clausen makes it to the 20's, I would be very surprised if someone like Buffalo didn't come back up to get him.

I actually have Taylor Mays falling to the Lions at 34 in my mock.

Another surprise in this guy's mock is Mike Iupati falling out of the 1st. Some of what he says makes sense, some of it doesn't.

The team with the best RB in the game is investing a 1st round pick on another RB?

A 4 player run on CB's is possible, but I'm not so sure about the guys that he has penciled in there. Either way, it's certainly an interesting perspective.

Crap, you guys are going fast; have to start researching tonight!

Don't see Minny taking a RB; didn't they just let Chester Taylor walk to the Bears? AP fumbles too much, but you aren't sitting him down.

Crap, you guys are going fast; have to start researching tonight!

Don't see Minny taking a RB; didn't they just let Chester Taylor walk to the Bears? AP fumbles too much, but you aren't sitting him down.

Whos AP's backup? In this league you pretty much need two good runningbacks especially given the high injury level at that position.
Would not be surprised if they took a RB if they felt it was a value.
Same with QB. And we still don;t know about Farve.

Craig

Well, I'm not saying you draft a punter instead of a RB, but I have a hard time seeing that they view the backup RB spot as a priority, especially since AP's still so young. So much depends on who's available at the time, of course.

Well, I'm not saying you draft a punter instead of a RB, but I have a hard time seeing that they view the backup RB spot as a priority, especially since AP's still so young. So much depends on who's available at the time, of course.

May not be the top priority but they are essentially picking top of the second round. Prices at that spot are not ridiculous and a team has more flexibility. Will they pick a RB first round? Probably not, but if they feel a Best or Matthews is better than #30 and available its a possibility.

Craig

Right now, the only major 'hole' is QB - pending Favre's return or a trade for McNabb or someone else. I wouldn't see wasting a 1st round pick and 1st round money on a RB when they do have other (smaller) needs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings use their 1st on a DT. If someone like Odrick or Price is still there when they're on the clock it would be hard for them to pass up. Pat Williams can't play forever, and a dominant DT combo is what drives their defense.

They can pick up a back like Hardesty, Gerhart, Tate or possibly even Dwyer in the 2nd if they *must* get a backup.

One other thing that I wanted to mention is that I'd actually be pretty surprised if the Redskins don't take Clausen at 4. Remember a few years back when Jake Plummer was only 2 years into his 4 or 5 year deal and coming off of a very good season? Shanahan took Cutler. Just sayin'...

So who do you guys think that the Raiders will reach for this year? My guess is Jason Pierre-Paul - a TON of athletic ability and potential, without the production to merit being selected that high.

Seattle needs to fill a lot of holes, or make them for Jones and their crappy running game, so I'm taking OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma. Sorry for lagging, I didn't realize we were starting already, but I'll be better from now on.

So who do you guys think that the Raiders will reach for this year? My guess is Jason Pierre-Paul - a TON of athletic ability and potential, without the production to merit being selected that high.
I've read that they're getting lots of interest from other teams about their pick, so I wouldn't rule out them trading down and reaching for a lesser player. If Dez Bryant was a little faster I'd think he'd be a good fit for this year's reach. He seems to have the necessary character requirements.

The Clowns ... sorry Cleveland Browns will select Joe Haden CB with their first round pick.
They have very little depth at this position and it was probably the biggest weekness on the defense. I strongly considered taking Clausen with this pick as QB is still very up in the air with the team. But they already have the QB from Notre Dame whose records Clausen did not break. Not sure if coaches and management believes Quinn is the future but I don't think Clausen would be a significant enough upgrade.

Craig

The Clowns ... sorry Cleveland Browns will select Joe Haden CB with their first round pick.
They have very little depth at this position and it was probably the biggest weekness on the defense. I strongly considered taking Clausen with this pick as QB is still very up in the air with the team. But they already have the QB from Notre Dame whose records Clausen did not break. Not sure if coaches and management believes Quinn is the future but I don't think Clausen would be a significant enough upgrade.

Craig

they already traded quinn :)

With the long weekend coming up I wanted to remind everyone that if you see that it's your turn to make a selection, but you haven't gotten a PM from me, by all means make the pick. I'll update the OP when I have a chance.

I'm not going to be available a good portion of this weekend to check, post updates and send PM notifications, so don't hold up the draft waiting for me.

In case I'm not around to check the board tomorrow morning, here's what I see as options for the Raiders given our board (go ahead and vote as a group if eriktlupus doesn't happen to respond by 10:03 am on Friday)

By the time that the draft rolls around, the whole Donovan McNabb to the Raiders thing will be settled. McNabb has no interest in going to the Raiders, so I just don't see that happening. This brings Clausen into the fray for them. JaMarcus Russell is quite possibly a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf, and it's time to move on. Will Creepy Al Davis be able to pull the trigger here, knowing that there's a big drop off after Clausen?

As I mentioned earlier, my other choice for them is reaching for Jason Pierre-Paul.

i'm gonnna play al davis and his wags here and say my pick for the raiders in the 1st rd of the 2010 draft will be colt mccoy!

i really never thought very much of clausen anyway. think he gets his hype from being from dame and we all know how well the last QB from there has done in the nfl. colt however has been running a winning program for 4 yrs and if he wasn't hurt in the game i think texas would have been the champs. yes i know he's been an almost exclusive shotgun QB and there is still some worries about his shoulder but my gut tells me he'll have a more productive career than clausen.

Is Al Davis really ready to throw the towel in on JaMarcus, though? He's a tool, he just showed up to workouts weighing close to three bills, but I don't see Davis wanting to completely change gears, since I don't see Clausen having the gun that Al Davis wants. Seems that he's apt to have success in a timing/West Coast-style offense rather than in the vertical game that the Raiders always want.

They really need some help on the offensive line. I've seen some drafts with them picking Trent Williams, but that ain't sexy.

Seems to me the most likely outcome is a trade for McNabb, maybe with Philly sending back a lower pick in addition to Donovan. I'd say we assume a trade and we pick for Philly.

Me either. I think the Vikes might make a last second move if Favre finally calls it quits, but with McNabb still in contract and people asking a pick for him, I just don't see it. Next year he's unrestricted and can go wherever he wants without a team having to pay the pick.

Me either. I think the Vikes might make a last second move if Favre finally calls it quits, but with McNabb still in contract and people asking a pick for him, I just don't see it. Next year he's unrestricted and can go wherever he wants without a team having to pay the pick.

well thats why they are gonna trade him for a high 2nd round pick...I also dont see him going to Minny, as Favre wont make up his mind in time. I think he ends up in STL or KC.

Ah, didn't realize McNabb had a no-trade clause.

Favre's not making a "decision" until after training camp, same as he does every year. He prolongs this crap intentionally so that he avoids two-a-days. Unless Minny wants to walk away from the Favre experiment, I don't see how they trade for McNabb.

As to the Raiders, if they aren't convincing McNabb to come aboard, I say the logical thing for them to do is to select the best available offensive lineman.

This conversation does make me feel better; McNabb on the Raiders means the Pat's 2011 pick is not nearly as valuable as it would be otherwise.

Raiders gave up 49 sacks last year, third-worst in the league (despite having among the fewest pass attempts per game; Pitt and Green Bay gave up a couple more sacks, but they passed the ball 4/5 times more per game). Doesn't matter who the QB is until they fix that. Might help improve the rushing numbers, too.

They also gave up a lot of rushing yards. Some help on the DL wouldn't be a bad thing, but the biggest weakness still seems to be on the offensive line (and at QB, but I don't think Clausen makes sense here and none of the other QBs seems worth the #8 pick).

Latest posts

Back