Hazed and infused clone stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdak

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a H&I clone that I brewed on 09 April that I believe is stuck.
The recipe is
8 lbs Light DME
.65 lbs Crystal 40
.5 Lbs Cara-pils
.25 Oz Galena (60 Min)
1 Oz Williamette (15 Min)
1 Oz Mt. Hood (15 Min)
1 Pkgs US-05

Steeped Cara-pils and Crystal for 30 Min in 1.5 Gallons @ 115
Rinsed with .5 gallon @ 170
Added 4.5 Gallons and boiled for 60 Min.
O.G. 1060
Pitched yeast after cooling.
At first I thought that I may have pitched the yeast at too high a temp, and it is possible since plenty of beers went down range during the day.
Fermentation started slowly and quit quickly. After one week Gravity was 1040. Raised temp-nothing, repitched-nothing, pitch a champagne yeast-gravity dropped to 1038. Did up a Festa brew after 3 weeks and when it was done in the primary I racked the H&I onto the Yeast cake. Within an hour had lots of air lock activity. Check Gravity a week later and it was 1038 (dammit :confused:). (Hydrometer is Good check other beer and it is reading fine) Is there anything that I am overlooking, and what should I do with this beer?

Thanks
Justin

I Checked it when I first got it and the festa beer kit a put to ferment a week ago was were it should be for its OG.

Very unusual. Check out my blog for some suggestions to fix a stuck fermentation, but for a 1.060 beer to get stuck in the 1.040 range is very strange.

Can you tell us at what temperature you pitched? Did you rehydrate the yeast? If so, how? Did you aerate the wort properly?

I think I may have pitched at 100+, not exactly sure, aerated by splashing wort around in primary and by splashing in top up water.

and did not rehydrate the yeast. The big thing I don't understand is why it do not take off again when it was racked onto a active yeast cake. It looked like it was going to (alot of bubbling out of the blow off tube) and now it is only bubbling twice a minute. I know Airlock activity is not a indication of fermentation.

Give it some more time, the cake may still need air waking up since they went to sleep after their first fermentation and the current, wouldn't hurt to gently rock your fermenter to get them back into suspension

So I roused the and still no drop in gravity. The trub has bubbles coming out if it, they look like little volcanos as they come up through the yeast cake. Would adding a energizer be helpful?

Back