Have Maris Otter, what can I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmcgee

Reaction score
So I decided to pick up a bag of Maris Otter in my last group buy. The problem is that I mostly drink IPA's and I don't know what to make with it! I'm guessing than an English style would be appropriate. I want to be able to taste the malt flavor, so I'm shying away from an IPA.

What would you recommend? I know jack squat about MO recipes. Possibly an ESB? Barleywine?

If you want to taste the malt I'd recommend Walker's Gauragach /80 Scotch Ale. I think I'm cooking it this weekend.

You can make a wicked good nut brown ale with MO. MO makes a good amber ale as well.

I actually like using MO for IPA's...as long as you aren't drowning it with a truckload of hops you can pick up the biscuity flavors from it.

English Style IPA: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anyone-brewed-ipa-ekg-140192/#post1591350. Read a bit and you will see MO being used, instead of creating amber malt. I *just* kicked my keg of this tonight and I am bummed, as it was very, very nice.

Captain Hooked on Bitters: (ESB)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/captain-hooked-bitters-red-hook-clone-award-winner-29740/. Again, read and see where the OP used MO to make it even better. I have this on keg. Nice, but I'm more of an IPA guy (see above).

Mirror Pond Ale clone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone-70466/. This one is nice and will go quickly. Not an IPA (it's an APA), but really tasty.

That's a few to get you started. MO + S-04 = awesome English Ales!

Hope this helps.

I think I might try that Mirror Pond Ale for now. I have a ton of American Hops that I need to use, so if it's that tasty, why not?!
1/2
I can play with another style next time.

Edit: Although a smash with American hops would be cool too! I have cascade (2 lbs), amarillo (1lb), citra (1 lb), centennial (1/2 lb), chinook (2 lbs), simcoe (1 lb), williamette (1 lb) and warrior (1 lb).

Bah, what can't you do with Maris Otter? That's what I want to know. One of these days, I'm going to make a Maris Otter pilsner, just to show you all!

OK, now that that silly tirade is over, I'd just try one of your usual recipes, using all MO for whatever base grain you normally use. You'll get a feel that way for what it brings to the beer. Naturally, the larger role your specialty grains play in any recipe, the smaller the difference will be. Something like an English brown ale might be perfect, but there are any number of options. Porters, milds, bitters, barleywines, Scottish ales, old ales, all great uses of MO.

I have used MO for IPAs, and it turned out well. I would almost recommend using it first in a SMaSH IPA or some other very simple recipe, so you can get the true taste of MO wothout getting masked behind specialty malts

I second the porter if you're willing to grab a few extra grains of chocolate. MO makes a mean 2-row base for it.

Another vote for SMASHes. That's the best way to learn what a particular grain will add to a recipe.

I've made a couple MO smashes at different mash temps. Low (148-49ish) makes a great lawnmower beer. A little warmer (152) produces an entirely different beer. Cheers!

I LOVE MO in IPA's. It adds a little more color, but gives you a nice biscuit flavor in the background.

Pretty much any American or British beer will work with MO. Might I suggest a porter or stout?

I would agree with those that said, pretty much any beer other than pilsner, tripel, vienna and helles.

Back