Have little experience and not sure if i over did it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend buying kits until you understand the whole process better. At least you won't have to worry about recipe formulation.
I agree. Buy pre-measured and instructed kits until you understand what it is youre doing.
"Winging it " the first time is most likely the start of a bad habit, wasting ingredients not to mention the time spent .
I would rather take the time to teach someone how to do something correctly their first time than try to change someones long time bad habit.

I agree. Buy pre-measured and instructed kits until you understand what it is youre doing.
"Winging it " the first time is most likely the start of a bad habit, wasting ingredients not to mention the time spent .
I would rather take the time to teach someone how to do something correctly their first time than try to change someones long time bad habit.

Kits are convenient, but certainly not necessary. What is necessary is a good recipe or a solid knowledge of how to create a recipe. I started with 2 Northern Brewer extract kits, the next 2, I used their recipes but supplied my own ingredients (what the kits would include). That saved me some $$. I then did 4 partial mash brews from proven recipes. After those 8, I went all grain. The first was a kit, after that a few from recipes adhering strictly to the recipe. Later I would add a grain, hop or something, small steps. Once I was comfortable with the small changes I would look at a few recipes for ideas and come up with my own. I did not stray too far outside the box. I have only dumped 2 beers out of 109 batches. Both of those were "outside the box - extremely!

So in all I have bought only 3 kits. But I brewed many recipes exactly the same as I would have if I bought the kit.

This appears to be your yeast, I had to look it up:
The Yeast Bay - WLP4025 - DRY BELGIAN ALE
https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/dry-belgian-ale

HOMEBREW VIAL PRODUCT INFORMATION
Cell Counts. Saccharomyces single strains and blends will contain ~80 billion cells per vial.

So, that's a really small pitch for such a big beer. A good size starter would certainly have been beneficial, keep that in mind for next time. Punch some numbers into this and you'll see:
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

To make 14% and higher beers typically takes a special process requiring some dexterity and know-how, more difficult to attain each additional point. This is not beginners territory.

But who knows, maybe all the coins flip in your favor.

Oh, don't rack to a "secondary" after xx days because some instructions tell you.
Yeah not doing secondary, primary 4 weeks then bottle and wait. i would be content with 10% beer but i didnt know about pitching multiple yeasts

I have brewed 3 kits and did 2 beers of my own, that first one was fine and got good reviews but this one seems to have been quite the leap of faith. The big problem here was me utilizing a very basic kit on a very complex beer for my experience level. But there is always next beer...

Last edited:
I have brewed 3 kits and did 2 beers of my own, that first one was fine and got good reviews but this one seems to have been quite the leap of faith. The big problem here was me utilizing a very basic kit on a very complex beer for my experience level. But there is always next beer...
my apologies then . I wasnt aware you had brewed prior to the one posted.

i didnt know about pitching multiple yeasts
Some breweries do, you could too, but that was not what I was referring to.

Once beer gets to 12-14% most yeast craps out, unless you "teach" them to keep going, adding nutrients and more sugar, syrup, or concentrated wort little by little over a few weeks time, until they call it a day. At that point you've taken your beer as far as it will go. Look up Sam Adams Utopia. Or one of those BrewDog monsters.

Some breweries do, you could too, but that was not what I was referring to.

Once beer gets to 12-14% most yeast craps out, unless you "teach" them to keep going, adding nutrients and more sugar, syrup, or concentrated wort little by little over a few weeks time, until they call it a day. At that point you've taken your beer as far as it will go. Look up Sam Adams Utopia. Or one of those BrewDog monsters.
Could i add yeast starter to the primary right now to help aid them? Canned wort to be exact .

Could i add yeast starter to the primary right now to help aid them? Canned wort to be exact .
You would have to make at least a 1 liter (or 1 quart) starter using a stir plate (in a 2 liter erlenmeyer flask) or use the shaken-not-stirred method (in a 1 gallon "wine" jug with well sealing screw lid). Pitch at high krausen, about 4-12 hours in, when it gets really foamy. Making 2 liters may be better and increase the chance of not stalling prematurely.

As I said before, pretty much all beer yeast is going to give up the ghost around 14%, and when pitched into a beer with already a high alcohol percentage they will not thrive either.

But an additional pitch may not be needed.

First things first...
Is fermentation still going?
Have you taken a gravity reading yet? Not saying you should, letting it be, sealed under an airlock is best.

Let's calculate/estimate your OG from the recipe ingredients and the resulting volume after top off.
LME yields around 1.036 (or 36 points) per pound per gallon (ppg). 12 pounds = 12 * 36 = 432 points. In 5 gallons that's 432 / 5 = 86 pts/gal or 1.086.

A pound of candi syrup adds 32 points and a pound of mashed Vienna 36 points. That's another (32 + 36) / 5 = 14 points to add. 86 + 14 = 100 pts/gal.
You're at an OG of 1.100 now. Is this around what you concluded?

1.100 is high but not crazy high, your high gravity, alcohol tolerant Belgian yeast should be able to chow that down. There is going to be a significant load of unfermentables in that beer, due to boiling concentrated wort for an hour. But you also have a Belgian yeast at hand, with the Diastaticus gene. You definitely want to make sure it has finished before bottling or you're gonna have bombs later. So give it a month at (ambient) room temps 70-74F to make sure.

Let's say your Belgian yeast attenuates this beer down to 1.020 (80%):

(FG – OG) x 131.25 = % ABV
0.080 * 131.25 = 10.5% ABV

Well within the yeast's range and below 14%, even at 90% attenuation (11.8%).

Last edited:
You would have to make at least a 1 liter (or 1 quart) starter using a stir plate (in a 2 liter erlenmeyer flask) or use the shaken-not-stirred method (in a 1 gallon "wine" jug with well sealing screw lid). Pitch at high krausen, about 4-12 hours in, when it gets really foamy. Making 2 liters may be better and increase the chance of not stalling prematurely.

As I said before, pretty much all beer yeast is going to give up the ghost around 14%, and when pitched into a beer with already a high alcohol percentage they will not thrive either.

But an additional pitch may not be needed.

First things first...
Is fermentation still going?
Have you taken a gravity reading yet? Not saying you should, letting it be, sealed under an airlock is best.

Let's calculate/estimate your OG from the recipe ingredients and the resulting volume after top off.
LME yields around 1.036 (or 36 points) per pound per gallon (ppg). 12 pounds = 12 * 36 = 432 points. In 5 gallons that's 432 / 5 = 86 pts/gal or 1.086.

A pound of candi syrup adds 32 points and a pound of mashed Vienna 36 points. That's another (32 + 36) / 5 = 14 points to add. 86 + 14 = 100 pts/gal.
You're at an OG of 1.100 now. Is this around what you concluded?

1.100 is high but not crazy high, your high gravity, alcohol tolerant Belgian yeast should be able to chow that down. There is going to be a significant load of unfermentables in that beer, due to boiling concentrated wort for an hour. But you also have a Belgian yeast at hand, with the Diastaticus gene. You definitely want to make sure it has finished before bottling or you're gonna have bombs later. So give it a month at (ambient) room temps 70-74F to make sure.

Let's say your Belgian yeast attenuates this beer down to 1.020 (80%):

(FG – OG) x 131.25 = % ABV
0.080 * 131.25 = 10.5% ABV

Well within the yeast's range and below 14%, even at 90% attenuation (11.8%).
Fermentation is still going, judging by activity in the airlock and layer of krausen still. The plan is definitely to let it sit until at least 4 weeks or longer depending on the visual activity. The site i used initially said i would get 10.5% (Michigan brew supply) they have a recipe calculator. They started me at a lower og/fg but the same abv. I could not get a legit gravity reading because i did not add the top off. The fermentation is about 72° now but it was on the high side for the first couple of days but i am Able to maintain it better now.

Hey everyone, this sunday will be week 6 in primary. I am wondering if when i bottle will i need to re-yeast for carbonation due to the probable stress the fermentation put on them and time in..

Back