Have I over primed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxwellwinter

Reaction score
So heres the deal. I bottled a batch of BB Pacific Coast IPA extract kit on 2/27 (so 11 days ago). I got antsy and sampled one this afternoon. I was expecting a somewhat flat beer but much to my surprise it's flippin' delicious! It had what I consider the perfect amount of carbonation and formed a decent head. The taste was incredible.

So as I was basking in all my glory of finally perfecting a home brew it dawned on me that if I continue to let them condition they may become too carbonated.

So question...am I correct in assuming they will continue to carbonate? If so, can I throw them all in the fridge to slow/stop carbonation?

Gravity readings did not drop 3 days apart prior to bottling and finished at 1.010. I used 4 oz of priming sugar for my 5 gal batch. Bottles were stored at around 69 degrees for 11 days.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

So heres the deal. I bottled a batch of BB Pacific Coast IPA extract kit on 2/27 (so 11 days ago). I got antsy and sampled one this afternoon. I was expecting a somewhat flat beer but much to my surprise it's flippin' delicious! It had what I consider the perfect amount of carbonation and formed a decent head. The taste was incredible.

So as I was basking in all my glory of finally perfecting a home brew it dawned on me that if I continue to let them condition they may become too carbonated.

So question...am I correct in assuming they will continue to carbonate? If so, can I throw them all in the fridge to slow/stop carbonation?

Gravity readings did not drop 3 days apart prior to bottling and finished at 1.010. I used 4 oz of priming sugar for my 5 gal batch. Bottles were stored at around 69 degrees for 11 days.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

That sounds great! You used the right amount of sugar for the size batch you had. It sounds like they carbed up perfectly. The priming sugar doesn't take long to ferment out usually, so it sounds right on track.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like you are ok. 4 oz of sugar (depending upon whether it's corn sugar or sucrose) will only get you around 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2. The beer would have to come down several gravity points to cause bottle bombs.

But it never hurts to be safe. I would chill one down every few days to check.

I am having the same question about one of my batches. By mistake I chilled and opened a beer that was bottled only a week ago, and it is very well carbonated. I carbed to 3.5 volumes (not unusual for me). I will be keeping a close watch and refrigerating if needed.

So I don't have to worry about it continuing to carb? only 11 days seemed a bit short and the last thing I want is 50 bottles of "gushers". If I like it the way it is can I through them all in the fridge to keep carb levels where they are?

Usually 90% of the fermentation is done in 2-3 days in primary. Stands to reason that the yeast will take care of most of your priming sugar in 11 days under good conditions. I would bet dollars to donuts that you are fine leaving them.as is.

So I don't have to worry about it continuing to carb? only 11 days seemed a bit short and the last thing I want is 50 bottles of "gushers". If I like it the way it is can I through them all in the fridge to keep carb levels where they are?

No reason you can't refrigerate all of them if you wish.

You can continue to check them once a week if you're worried, I've had lots of beers almost fully carb after 10-14 days. I can only think of a handful which took longer than that.

It's always a good idea to check a bottle periodically, even if that seems overcautious. At the local bowling center last week the bartender had a commercial beer explode (luckily she is ok).

Latest posts

Back