Have Beertools Pro, switch to Beersmith 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
Hello. It has been a while since I've posted here, and, sadly, a while since I've actually brewed. I have had Beertools Pro since they first released their software, and it's not necessarily bad, but I see most activity (as far as brewing software goes) about Beersmith on these forums. Would it be worth it for me to switch? I have a 26 gallon Morebeer "sculpture" with electronic temp control and mash circulation. I have preferred the interface of Beertools, but the new version of Beersmith looks pretty similar. I also don't mind a higher learning curve, if that's even the issue, if I will find the software more useful. This seems like a question that would have been very commonly asked on here, but I searched for "beertools beersmith" in the forums from the past year, and I didn't find any relevant posts. If I have missed them, I apologize before the potential flaming starts ;) . But if anyone can provide any guidance about switching, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Spend less time on software and more time brewing : p

Its all preference. I started with beer smith thats why I use it.

I have only used simple online recipe calculators or Beersmith. I just looked at a YouTube tutorial on BeerTools v 1.5. It looks pretty similar. The tutorial didn't go into any details about equipment profiles, etc so I can't advise in that regard. The equipment profile is one of the places where you can fine tune things for more control than you get with more simple programs.

At the above mentioned source and $19 you can't really go to far astray even if you end up not using it. That is where I downloaded my copies. The first copy was on a computer that crapped out.

If you are comfortable in using BeerTools and the program seems to work for you, why switch? If it is not doing what you want or you don't like the way it works, then BeerSmith is a good alternative.

note: I use BeerSmith and it is really accurate for me.

Never used Beertools, but I'd be inclined to agree with ^that^, if the feature sets are comparable and the resulting product has been satisfactory - and predictable.

I will say that once you bite the bullet and go all in on BS2.something and really get under the hood, it's amazing how thorough and accurate it is - if your processes are solid to begin with, of course. Along with the recipe stuff I'm particularly happy with the inventory management.

It has a righteously steep learning curve, imnsfho, to get to where it's wonderfully useful, but I think it's worth it.

There are a couple of places that BS is weak-ish, and I use alternatives in those areas (eg: water conditioning - I use Bru'nwater, and used Mike Solty's line length calculator as the calculator in BS is parroted folklore)...

Cheers!

I prefer Beer Tools Pro. I thought about switching to BeerSmith so I downloaded the free trial and honestly, I couldn't get past the Beersmith UI. I prefer the interface of BTP much more, so I didn't switch; and don't regret it. In my experience it is equally capable.

ETA: I believe the key to either of them is getting your equipment profiles dialed in. And dialing in your process is probably even more important.

Latest posts

Back