Has anyone used Wyeast 2035 at ale temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I picked up some yeast and intended to get 2112 which is the California Lager, but I didn't read the package detail and picked it out of the bin labeled California Lager, got home (several hours from the homebrew supply store) and realized the package was Wyeast 2035 American Lager. Oops.

I might give this a go as I can maintain about 60-62 degrees consistently but can't a stable in 55 in my basement. Anyone else ever try to make a steam style beer with 2035?

I use 2035 pretty frequently, but I haven't tried it that warm. In the mid-50s, though, it does just fine. I bet you could get a 5-7°F drop pretty easily using a towel and fan, ice packs, etc. Unless 60-62°F is after you're already doing all that stuff.

No, 62 is just as is... the floor temp is right around 60 and ambient is around 64, the probe I have on it reads 62... but I'm not confident that its very accurate. Maybe I'll try the ice and a fan...

Well, I transferred to secondary today after seven days in the primary. The Basement has kept a very consistent 62 degrees and today when I took a hydrometer sample my temp strip said 62, so it worked out pretty well on the temperature control front. The Sample was completely fermented, OG at 1.049 and my FG at 1.011 which is slightly lower than my targeted 1.012. I'm going to let this sit for about three weeks and then bottle. I tasted the hydrometer sample and, well, it tastes like beer. Perhaps to a more discerning person it would have some off flavors but I can't seem to taste any. I couldn't detect any Fusel alchohol flavor, which makes me happy as I was worried about that. Perhaps after Lagering for a while and then keeping it at about 34 in the fridge in bottles for a few weeks will help maintain some lager character. Either way, this mistake of getting the 2035 instead of the 2112 turned out better than I planned.

I have a little butterscotch flavor going on here... maybe it will mellow out in a few weeks.

Thats right... I drank most of this within 3 months. It had a slight fruity character but it was very drinkable.

Excellent. I will be using this on Saturday. Starter is chugging away like a champ as I type this.

Old thread here, but I did just brew a test batch with 2035 at ale temps. Recipe was 1 lb (0.45 kg) of Briess CBW Golden Light DME into 1 gal (3.78 l) of water, with no hops. Fermented at 76 F (24.4 C).

Flavor was a very-drinkable, pleasant "American 40oz malt liquor" profile. I would brew it again the same way.

If you aren't into American-style malt liquors, then you won't like it.

Back