Harvesting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurtamous

Reaction score
Happy brewing chums

I was curious if it is advisable to harvest yeast twice over - meaning I already harvested it from the first brew I made and will be using it for my second brew - I am not sure if I should attempt to harvest it again; I believe the yeast will have mutated by this point but am not sure if it will be such a mutation as to warrant distinct changes?

I'm harvesting safale-05 from Cream of Three Crops for the Mojave red; not sure a bout the third brew yet but just wanted to get some input to get an idea. Thanks all!

I don't see a problem with it. I know guys in the club that will use 1272 or 1056 for like 5-6 months before getting a new version. Just yeast wash, store, brew, repeat.

I am pretty sure I've read in more than one place that you can harvest liquid yeast for many generations (up to say 10x with no adverse results), and that the yeast strain actually becomes more vital and is at it's best on the 3rd and 4th use.

However it sounds like you're using a dry yeast...I've actually heard it's best not to try to re-use dry yeasts at all. I think there are some potential negative effects and most people argue that it's so cheap to start with you might as well just use a fresh packet if you're going the dry route.

(sorry, it's late and i'm too lazy to look up specific details but if you use the search function on these forums i'm pretty confident you'll find other people stating the same thing)

I've washed my California Ale yeast at least 4 or 5 times now for my Sierra Nevada clone I keep on tap constantly. Makes the same beer every time.

Thanks guys, Glad to know I can reuse the yeast several times without worry for the most part.

I am pretty sure I've read in more than one place that you can harvest liquid yeast for many generations (up to say 10x with no adverse results), and that the yeast strain actually becomes more vital and is at it's best on the 3rd and 4th use.

However it sounds like you're using a dry yeast...I've actually heard it's best not to try to re-use dry yeasts at all. I think there are some potential negative effects and most people argue that it's so cheap to start with you might as well just use a fresh packet if you're going the dry route.

Hmm, I'm thinkin' you may be right. Since it is cheaper I might just grab a new packet to avoid a problem if that is the consensus. The dry packets are only 2.75$ vs 7.00$ - 7.50$+ for the liquid. So the yeasts you all have reused have been liquid mainly? Would make sense, liquid yeast I imagine would be healthier

Reusing yeast that was once dry, is no different than reusing yeast that got to you liquid. It's all liquid after it's been pitched. As long as it's viable and healthy, yeast is yeast. If it fermented well and produced good results, reuse.

Latest posts

Back