Harvesting, Re-pitching & Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I just harvested WLP Cal Ale from a blonde ale. I have it in a mason jar. My question is when, if at all is the best time to wash the yeast?

1. Now, then refigerate and pitch the right amount on next brew day?

2. Refrigerate now and wait until the next brew day?

I plan to use JZ's pitching calculator to make sure I get close to the pitching the right amount of yeast.

I have only repitched from a previous batch once but I heard from jamils podcast that you can rinse/wash right away. They also said the layers will settle better at cooler temps. I let mine site for about 20-30 minutes before siphoning or pourin off the yeast from all the other crap.

You want to wash it right away.

Read this sticky it will tell you everything you need to know:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Its had a 1/4 million hits for a reason.

That thread is AWESOME!!!!

I use that method all the time (last Friday as a matter of fact) and have washed a couple of batches, seperated into several mason jars (usually wash down to pint or 1/2 pint jars) and have brewed several batches with my washed yeast. I ALWAYS make a starter and step up if need be based on Mr. Malty calculator. The longest I have personally stored washed yeast before pitching into a starter w/ no apparent viability issues is 5 months, but I have read that some (Bobby I think) have had luck as long as a year later. I save a TON of $$$ on yeast now. I just plan my brews around 1 yeast variety for a few batches. My most recent project is several Belgians w/ WLP550 that I will rebrew w/ a different strain to taste the differences in yeast flavor.

Good luck:mug:

I heard from jamils podcast that if you are going to use it within a week that you don't have to use a starter if you harvested enough yeast. Has anyone had any experience with this. I hope this works because I washed some yeast yesterday and immediately poured I into a new batch the same day.

I heard from jamils podcast that if you are going to use it within a week that you don't have to use a starter if you harvested enough yeast. Has anyone had any experience with this. I hope this works because I washed some yeast yesterday and immediately poured I into a new batch the same day.

When I washed on Friday I removed 150ml of slurry (Mr. Malty said I needed 125ml) from the cake with a sanitized spoon and kept it in a sanitized pyrex measuring cup covered in sanitized foil while I washed the rest and brewed my next batch. I then pitched the slurry straight in once the wort was cooled, stuck it in my fermentation chamber, and rigged a blowoff. 6 hrs later it was bubbling merrily away. I have also pitched a batch onto an entire cake...USE A BLOWOFF!!!! It took off like crazy, but I figured why waste all that yeast that could be washed? I only pitch onto an entire cake now for really big beers.

My only concern with pitching washed yeast (even that quickly) would be shocking them with temperature swings. I pour cold water onto the cake because I'm not worried about putting them to sleep. As long as you keep your washing temps around your pitching temps you should be fine :mug:

My yeast that was washed and pitched has still yet to start bubbling. I pitched a lil more than what the calculator said as well. With that being said there is a nice layer o white krausen sitting on top of the beer... A good sign but I am still a little concerned with the lag time.

My yeast that was washed and pitched has still yet to start bubbling. I pitched a lil more than what the calculator said as well. With that being said there is a nice layer o white krausen sitting on top of the beer... A good sign but I am still a little concerned with the lag time.

If you have krausen, you have fermentation and lively and viable yeastie beasties. Bubbling or lack of it has nothing to do with fermentation. It is a gas release, not a meter!!!

RDWHAHB :mug:

TANSTAAFB said:
If you have krausen, you have fermentation and lively and viable yeastie beasties. Bubbling or lack of it has nothing to do with fermentation. It is a gas release, not a meter!!!

RDWHAHB :mug:

Thats a good way to put it and reassuring as well! Does your name imply you work at an air force base?

Latest posts

Back