Harvest yeast for a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
noob'n it up today

I got some WLP001 under about an inch of beer. It has been there since I racked the beer off of it about two weeks ago. from experience is this too long to let the yeast hangout. It is at a temp of less than 45*. I am going to brew today and I am debating on whether to use the liquid yeast or just pitch it and is some US05

If it is ok, any ideas on getting it out of a 5 gal carboy. I used to just rack on top of the yeast using the same fermenter, but this all happened simultaneous. I imagine that the interior of the carboy is not as sanitary as a brewer would want.

Let me know HBT'ers

If it's a similar beer transfer the cake and rack on top of it. Otherwise, the low temps should have made sleepy-time for the yeasties, so they should be good still. Use the liquid/cake yeast, and if you don't get fermentation in a few days then use the US05. No reason to wast the US05 if you still have good liquid yeast. Just my opinion and I am still learning too, but that's what I would do.

Is this the yeast cake from a previous batch? IF it has been < 45*F the WHOLE time, I think that it is probably ok. I would boil off a quart of water, let it cool ( don't shock them yeasties), add it to the carboy.

Swirl. Spray sanitizer all over that neck. Get it out and warm it up slowly (to pitching temp) over the next few hours. Smell it. IF it was bad, you'd know it.

If that temp has been warmer, no way I'd chance that.

Or, just rack right onto the cake.

yah it is a cake from a previous batch, damnit I think I am going to let the worry get to me and use the dry

Was there an airlock on it? It may have some wild yeast in there if not, otherwise go for it, I would probably try it either way. Vern.

Back