Hard Cider Help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIX

Reaction score
I realise that a US forum may not have much expertise in this regard (I may be wrong). This is a stupid question.

I keep getting instructions to Rack off after its 'fermented out'. Racking off I'm OK with, but how do I know if its fermented out.

Many Thanks

Oh and hello to one and all.

Lots of people do cider in the US, but for specific questions you may want to go to the "cider brewing" section.

Knowing when it's done is similiar to beer-krausen falls, foam dissipates, airlock activity is very low and the specific gravity is consistent for 2-3 days. Cider takes awhile, so I would definately make sure it's done before bottling...unless you are using a secondary, then just go ahead and rack to the secondary when fermentation has slowed.

I used hydrometer readings to check mine. Even so, I didn't expect it to ferment so completely and I ended up with a sparkling cider instead of a plain, flat cider. Meh, everyone loved it. I need to do that one again. this time... Less campden tabs.

NIX said:
I realise that a US forum may not have much expertise in this regard (I may be wrong). This is a stupid question.

I keep getting instructions to Rack off after its 'fermented out'. Racking off I'm OK with, but how do I know if its fermented out.

Many Thanks

Oh and hello to one and all.
You'd probably get more responses if you posted on the Cider board.....

Thanks guys I didn't see the Cider board.

Apologies.

Not a problem, many of us track the "New Posts" regardless of catagory. Because there are no unfermentable sugars cider should ferment to 0.995 or so. If you haven't added any extra sugar, two weeks should do it.

Back