Harbor Freight Tools -- What works? and What doesn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used hedge trimmer for the first time the other day. For light weight trimming its probably fine. It got stuck twice on a 3/4ish branch. It instantly started to smoke the second it bound up and smelled like burnt electric if you know what I mean. I'm assuming its going to die in short order as its literally half smoked.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0.html&usg=AFQjCNFCL8WiHADVcvUmc4PkIoNIpg1TjQ
well in fairness I smoked my dads black and decker trimmer the same way when I was a kid. He made me finish the hedgerow with a manual trimmer.
I would kind expect 3/4" branches to pretty much trash any little electric hedge trimmer like that advertised or not pushing to the absolute limit will usually short the lifespan of anything.. especially when one mans 3/4" can vary by eye..
an electric hedge trimmer isnt the best tool for trimming 3/4" branches regardless and most people dont wait that long to cut and reshape thier hedges lol.. it is called hedgeTRIMMER for a reason

My HF step drills didn't get hardened or something, they each worked the first time I made a cut in some sheet metal, and now they are duller than a butter knife.

ok ill ask, did you use cutting oil and slow rpms? I burned up $36 in step bits myself before realizing the drill I was using was still going too fast and once I switched drills and bought a 3rd set of drill bits I was able to cut 12 holes with the same bit in my stainless kettles like a knife through butter. They arent the best bits but when used correctly they arent all that bad either. There are a lot of threads here where people destroyed all sorts of drill bits trying to drill through metal incorrectly I imagine some might take more abuse but it doesnt mean the cheaper option wont get the job done when not abused.

My experience is similar to augiedoggy's - I've drilled many holes in stainless steel hardware with my cheap HF step bit. Just have to use low RPMs (really low) and lube. If the lube starts to smoke, just back off and let things cool down for a second. If the stainless gets too hot, it'll harden and make drilling even more difficult. Never really had a problem with slow and cool.

Ditto here. Drilled two Al kettle and all holes in my standup kegerator just fine.

They are priced by the company who brands the tool regardless of who makes the tool or battery... You pay for marketing and the brand. This is why a 2 pack of replacement batteries is $120 at lowes for an old dewalt 18v drill and a 2 pack of oem 18v batteries for a ryobi is like $50... crack either one open and you find the same battery cells inside...
Dewalt which is owned by stanley tools (also owns craftman) is just another marketing name along with porter cable, delta, bostich ands others these days which are all owned by black and decker... and who is selling more and more chinese goods with these once american name brand labels on them.... Hitachi also makes some stuff to be sold with their various brandings as well.

did you know Chervon owns skil? That one struck me as kind of odd... I also didnt know that My ryobi tools are made By TTI... the same folks who own Milwaukee and a bunch of other brand names to sell under.

Tool batteries are a racket.

I have a bunch of older 18V DeWalt tools that use the old XRP 2.4Ah NiCd battery packs. One by one they stopped holding a charge and needed to be replaced. The OEM replacements were around $100 for 2, but I found decent Chinese knockoffs on Amazon for $40 for two that work just as well. Like you said, probably the same cells inside.

Tool batteries are a racket.

I have a bunch of older 18V DeWalt tools that use the old XRP 2.4Ah NiCd battery packs. One by one they stopped holding a charge and needed to be replaced. The OEM replacements were around $100 for 2, but I found decent Chinese knockoffs on Amazon for $40 for two that work just as well. Like you said, probably the same cells inside.

Research online. You may be able to crack them open safely and just replace the cells for even cheaper. Especially if they are using a common cell. The Ryobi one plus batteries just have 18650s in them(them same batteries used in mose ecigs). Ifixit has a breakdown on them. If you still have the old packs, can't hurt. Well, it can, because there is potentially some high voltage left in those things.
On another note, if the battery pack is registering around 12v instead of 18, and refusing to fully charge, it's likely that one cell/battery is shot, causing it to engage the voltage protection circuit. A single 18650 is about $5 online.

Research online. You may be able to crack them open safely and just replace the cells for even cheaper. Especially if they are using a common cell. The Ryobi one plus batteries just have 18650s in them(them same batteries used in mose ecigs). Ifixit has a breakdown on them. If you still have the old packs, can't hurt. Well, it can, because there is potentially some high voltage left in those things.
On another note, if the battery pack is registering around 12v instead of 18, and refusing to fully charge, it's likely that one cell/battery is shot, causing it to engage the voltage protection circuit. A single 18650 is about $5 online.

yes very true... most of the latest generation power tools use the slimmer 18650 Li ion cells now actually... older ones ues the NI CD or Ni-MH and the cells for either can be found on ebay new or as I found the 25 or so I have by cracking open old laptop battery packs.... it is usually one or 2 cells that go bad and prevent them from charging... walmart carries the18650 cells too in the landscaping light isle

I tore my ryobi packs apart but them realized I can get a 2 pack of battery packs on ebay for $25 shipped I just went that route..

I use the 18650 cells in those led flashlights and backup battery packs I bought for like $3 empty that charge my phones or other devices... one even has multiple types of output with a voltage selector switch if I want to run my sat radio or whatever..

In general, my recommendation has always been if its a tool that you use all the time or a more expensive tool that you don't want to rebuy(welders, giant compressors, car lift and the like) spend a little more and get nicer tools. if its a tool that you don't really use or don't see yourself needing again buy the cheap one for the job you're doing and every use after that is a bonus.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for the HF frugal shoppers like me. Never buy a HF tool w/o a coupon. One of the HF counter guys told me to google the item number and "harbor freight coupon" and you are likely to find a coupon for that specific item. Just bought the $30 backpack sprayer for $19.99 and it works great.

They usually have the 20-25% off coupons available as well. With the item specific coupon you can buy something else and get the 20% off on it as well instead of just the 20% off the highest priced item in the basket.

I'm reviving this zombie thread...stay clear of the Drill Master heat gun. I bought one to dedicate for roasting coffee. I typically run it about 10 minutes at a time. After 4 uses and today it went kaput. Started making a loud grinding sound, then bzzzzzzt...toast.

You have a gas burner for brewing?
And a Wok?

That's what my neighbor / brewer buddy uses.........:D

I'm reviving this zombie thread...stay clear of the Drill Master heat gun. I bought one to dedicate for roasting coffee. I typically run it about 10 minutes at a time. After 4 uses and today it went kaput. Started making a loud grinding sound, then bzzzzzzt...toast.

Huh, I've had the exact opposite experience. Bought one of these 4? years ago and use it for shrinking thousands of wine bottle capsules. No issues, works perfect time.

Latest posts

Back