Harbor Freight Tools -- What works? and What doesn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentednonsense

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads on here discussing various harbor freight tools being used in brewing builds. There are always various opinions on what works and what doesn't, so I figured I'd start a centralized location so everyone can discuss what tools work in the brewing DIY world, and which tools really don't match up.

The first tool that comes to mind, that absolutely does not work, is the Drill Master version of the dremel tool. I tried cutting some plastic for a project, and it immediately stopped the motor. The cutting discs are also so brittle, that when you go to put them on, they'll crumble if you're not careful.

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

I used the cheep 4 1/2 angle grinder to polish a keg. You can only work with it for 5 minutes at a time or it will over heat and die. But for $10 ,(with coupon), it may be worthwhile for some.

I didn't buy my dremil there but I did buy diamond dremil bits that were decent. They wore out quick, but they were cheap to buy for the project I was working on.

Has anyone used the low speed drills? I'm looking for one for my grain mill

I have several Harbor Freight tools that worked out okay.

The 16 speed floor drill press has paid for itself many times over.

The same can be said for the horizontal/vertical metal cutting band saw.

I like my sheet metal brake that came from HF but they no longer carry the one that I have. I have a couple of different bar and rod benders that work well and the little ring roller does a great job too. The 110 pound Russian made anvil was a great bargain when they had it, mine is not for sale. The 12 inch disc sander is another good tool.

I have a couple of the 1 ton arobor presses which serve the purpose. The 20 ton hydraulic press and the 2 ton folding shop crane are both worth having around and 1 ton hydraulic scissor lift table is the number one best back saver in my garage. The smaller hydraulic table is also quite useful.

I even built a teardrop camping trailer using a HF trailer as the frame. The weather finally got the best of the camper but my brother in law converted it into a cargo trailer and is still using it.

I have never bought a handheld electric power tool from Harbor Freight that could be described as anything other than a mistake.

Harbor Freight does not have top quality tools but some of their stuff can be modified/improved to the point of being more than adequate for a home shop. You just need to shop carefully and pay close attention to what you are getting. Nobody like top quality industrial grade equipment more than I do but if I would not settle for less in some cases, I would be doing without in many cases.

Here's a pic of my highly modified HF horizontal/vertical bandsaw;

hvbandsaw.jpg

I've never used any HF stuff for homebrew but I restore fountain pens as a (second) hobby and a lot of people advocate using HF's spark plug wrenches as section pliers. This doesn't work so well and is a great way to ruin a pen, ruin a tool, or give yourself carpal tunnel. :p

A lot of my stuff is jerry-rigged but nothing I've seen of Harbor Freight would make me seek their parts out.

I've found the reviews on their website to be very accurate. That being said, the tools that have worked well for me are : carbide hole saw bits, large pipe cutter, through socket set.

Chicago Electric 1/2" variable speed reversible hammer drill with the hammer part turned off to run my corona style mill. It chews through the grain. I was using a smaller drill that would heat up and smoke!

I also had good luck with the step drills.

mrwizard0 said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

This is the one I was looking at. I heard that there is a knob on this version that controls the variable speed

Same as I use on my junk Corona set up. I love this drill!

Also noticed my LH BS uses this same drill. I like that you can lock the trigger in and use the dial on the trigger after its locked to dial in whatever RPM you want. Awesome drill for powering a mill at this price!

I bought one of those 264 GPH submersible fountain pumps from Harbor Freight. I use it to recirculate ice water through my chiller. Works really well and only cost $20.

Same as I use on my junk Corona set up. I love this drill!

Also noticed my LH BS uses this same drill. I like that you can lock the trigger in and use the dial on the trigger after its locked to dial in whatever RPM you want. Awesome drill for powering a mill at this price!

Hmmmm, same link as mine... Maybe I can lock the trigger?

1/2" torque wrench
class 3 and 4 trailer hitches/balls
cheater bars
screwdrivers
dollys
goodyear compressor and garden hose

all ok. just about everything else there is utter garbage

Contrary to the other post, I have used my 4 1/2" HF grinder relentlessly. I have never owned a tool that can take the abuse I have thrown at that grinder. To that end, the HF consumables for it are solid too. It took three grinding wheels to grind all the welds on my brewstand which is around 100" if welds. Their flap discs did well too. I used their 7" cutting disks on my 10" chop saw for all my cuts and I can't complain with the results. I ran that grinder for long periods grinding down the plate steel I acquired for my welding table that came with jagged edges and a completely rusty surface. That grinder cleaned it he plate up and never skipped a beat, I'm pretty sure the only thing that can stop it is a power outage.

Their normal drill bits are not very good, they do not cut through clean, dull quickly, and are easy to break. But I have had no issue with their hole saw or speed bits other than, like their drill bits, will require some clean up as they will leave a metal lip on the back side if a hole if cutting metal. However given the cost of none HF tools, a little finish work is a small price to pay.

If I expect precision from a tool, such as a drill press or even more potentially disastrous, a micrometer or powder scale for reloading, I will buy a quality tool. However if it is a tool where high precision is not required and/or I will not often need the tool I will go to HF as if I go to a big box store and buy their cheap tool, rest assured it will cost more and be no better or worse than HF.

Very timely. I was just using my HF tap and die set and yet again wish I'd ponied up for better. My logic at the time was I haven't needed a tap and die set very much. But every time I use my HF set, I am annoyed by how much it sucks. It gets the job done, but only after a lot effort I'd rather pay more to avoid.

I've had great luck with the following items from HF, all home use not commercial:
- 1/2" impact sockets
- moving blankets
- brake bleeder (plug into a stopper for degassing wine)
- snap ring pliers set
- ball peen hammer set
- dead blow
- rubber mallet set
- pipe wrench set
- pneumatic fittings
- air hose reel
- air hoses
- 3 shelf cart

Junk I've gotten from there:
- cheap trickle charger
- manual drain cleaner
- in line air tool oiler

Totally agree with the folks saying not to purchase tools requiring precision...

LabRatBrewer said:
Hmmmm, same link as mine... Maybe I can lock the trigger?

If you have the drill in that link, you can lock the trigger. Depress the trigger ( the big yellow two-finger job with the "+\-" knob on it ) and turn the drill on it's side. The yellow dot on the side of the pistol grip is the trigger lock. While you press on the trigger, Push the trigger lock button. While pressing the lock button let go of the trigger.

Now you can use the "+\-" knob on the trigger to fine tune the desired RPM.

I have a ten gallon air compressor that I got from HF about a year ago and it is holding up great to my occasional home use. Also, their clamps are pretty decent.

I've not had any luck with any tool. Bought the Drill Master dremel tool, you could stop the spinning with your hand let alone cut anything with it. Bought the Drill Master 18v drill, battery stopped taking a charge in less than two months. Bought the 4" grinder, lasted 20 minutes. So my thought is not to buy anything from HF with moving parts. So I bought a pair of gloves, got home and thought, when I put my fingers in them it will have moving parts… crap.

tom

Very timely. I was just using my HF tap and die set and yet again wish I'd ponied up for better. My logic at the time was I haven't needed a tap and die set very much. But every time I use my HF set, I am annoyed by how much it sucks. It gets the job done, but only after a lot effort I'd rather pay more to avoid.

Agreed, this is one of those rarely use items that didn't do to well for me and buying better quality would have been worthwhile.

Couple of other things I forgot to add to the list...

Their tool chests are as good quality as any Sears or big box store brands. If you want higher quality you would need to buy Snap-On or similar.

Their professional automotive spray gun is serviceable. The body actually looks identical to that of a professional gun that runs about $125. My only complaint is that the paint cup attaches poorly and requires some work to get it to seal solidly. I wouldn't shoot a show car with it, but for my brewer stand and control box or standard cars it works fine.

Impact sockets have worked well so far.

I don't trust their torque wrenches.

Long story short, most all the crap you buy anymore whether it is from HF, Sears, HD, or Lowes is made in the same factories in China, they may have a few slight differences in them or often times simply have a different color and sticker.

Generally I avoid buying things from HF that have more than 2 moving parts, but the HF angle grinder I bought as a back up has been well worth the $15 I paid for it. I will happily buy cheap hand tools from HF if they won't see a lot of use. Motorized tools I would rather get second hand from estate sales or craigslist.

Cheap and good:
step drill bits
4-1/2" angle grinder
angle grinder cut off discs
clamps
zip ties
crescent wrench set
mechanic's gloves (if they fit your hands)
aviation snips

Cheap and so-so:
most hand tools including pliers, saws, hammers etc.

Cheap rubbish:
PTFE tape
Titanium Nitride coated drill bit set (easily bent)
socket set (ratchet broke on 2nd use)
emery paper
welding gloves

I was in a hurry and needed a pile of 6" c-clamps a couple of years ago. I grabbed about a dozen without inspecting them - I thought it would be pretty tough to screw up a c-clamp. When I attempted to use one of them, the casting was so warped the pressure foot on the screw completely missed the pad on the casting when the clamp was closed. I've kept that clamp around just for the conversation piece it is.

Pneumatic cut off tool is great. That's what we use at work. There's no need to pay $40+ for a simple air tool that dies nothing but spin really fast...

I have a 4 1/2 angle grinder and an Oscillating Multifunction tool. For the once-in-a-while homeowner job, they are fine. The grinder has been put through its paces and is holding up well. If I had to rely on those tools day in and day out, I would go for a higher quality.

The best thing about HF is the smell!!!

"I don't trust their torque wrenches."

I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for my trailer tires and had Discount Tire check it with their torque checker machine and it was dead on. I thought it would be pretty close but was surprised it was accurate.

"I don't trust their torque wrenches."

I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for my trailer tires and had Discount Tire check it with their torque checker machine and it was dead on. I thought it would be pretty close but was surprised it was accurate.

Mine is not dead on but it is close enough for what I wanted. Using the Socket-in a-vise-and-weight-on-a-string method I got the 1/2" wrench to break at 50#...set at 48#. Since my most important number is 65# (not for brewing), that is good enough for me.

Love their 2-ton engine crane and use it just as often for things not automotive.

After you replace the pivot grease, their 2-ton low profile jack is awesome.

The $.29 click knives are about perfect...I buy them by the one gallon tub.

Here is the odd part...Menards Tool Shop brand should be exactly the same crappy quality for electric tools as most of the Harbor Freight items I have bought. They are SOOOO much better tool for tool for about 5% more. My oscilating multitool is about the same power but can run all-out for 15 minutes before it heats up.

Their $19 two speed dremel'ish tool...same thing and I used it to cut three 28mm hardened nuts off in a confined space. It took an hour with it running on high speed. Never got to hot to touch...the harbor freight one lasted 10 minutes and melted everything.

Warning for people looking to get the low speed drill for their mill. It is being replaced by a version without the speed control dial on the trigger. Some stores still have the old one.

Back