Handheld Tap or Tower - Does it make a difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmy3

Reaction score
So I am just getting into kegging and shopping for something to keep my kegs cooled. I was originally going to get a kegerator but realized I can get a higher quality and cheaper appliance if I just get a chest freezer. I will probably add a collar as time goes by but I'm curious, is there really any disadvantage to just using the handheld taps? As far as I can see through searches, nobody seems to point out any glaring difference, so is a collar with taps more of a convenience/looks cool kind of thing? Any insight on the subject is greatly appreciated!

While on the subject, if anyone owns or knows of a chest freezer that has a stock thermostat that will go warm enough to not freeze my kegs, that would be great info as well. I heard some do and some need some additional work, but none really specify their stock temp range.

Thanks for assisting a keg noob!

I've seen many threads about picnic taps getting stuck or pitched and draining kegs...

personally i'd go with faucets from the start, a collar is really not hard to build/add to the freezer.

I've seen many threads about picnic taps getting stuck or pitched and draining kegs...

personally i'd go with faucets from the start, a collar is really not hard to build/add to the freezer.

I guess my only hesitation to do it immediately (aside from not being very experienced with building things) is that I have cats and I'm worried they'll knock the tap lines open when I'm not home. I know I've seen tap locks but the ones I saw were expensive, like 40ish each or so. That's why I'm wondering if picnic taps are sufficient until I figure something else out. Wouldn't want it getting stuck and draining my keg though, that's for sure...

An igloo 5.2 cft has a thermostat that goes up to 50 F and will fit three ball locks with a 5 lb tank
I don't know about picnic taps vs other taps but you could always use a picnic tap and see how you like it and if you don't just get the other taps

jmmy3 said:
I guess my only hesitation to do it immediately (aside from not being very experienced with building things) is that I have cats and I'm worried they'll knock the tap lines open when I'm not home. I know I've seen tap locks but the ones I saw were expensive, like 40ish each or so. That's why I'm wondering if picnic taps are sufficient until I figure something else out. Wouldn't want it getting stuck and draining my keg though, that's for sure...

I use a "cause" bracelet to secure my faucet against dog or cat accidents.

image-3351428016.jpg

One idea I'm thinking about is to mount a metal rod in front of the tap handles such that it can be removed. I can't remember where I got the idea from; it might have been a discussion about teenager-proofing a keezer (which thankfully isn't a concern for me).

Edit: Or it occurs to me that you could screw a hook into the collar behind each faucet and use that to hold the other end of a sturdy rubber band. As far as the freezer thermostat goes, check this out.

Back