Hallertau Necessary for Orval Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
I am going to attempt an orval clone using the Brewing Classic Styles recipe and I have everything except Hallertau hops, which every Orval clobe recipe I've seen calls for, for bittering.

Anyone think I'd ever really notice a difference if I just use more Styrian Goldings for the bittering charge, or would I really be getting something noticeable from the Hallertau? I also have some Warrior if anyone thinks that is a better way to go.

I'm in New Zealand and can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment. Just wondering how hard I should look.

Yeah orval basiclaly has zero hop character. As long as you dont use something assertive, youll be fine

Yes Orval does dry-hop and young fresh Orval does have a noticeable hop character. Also from their website:

"The most reputed varieties are the Bavarian Hallertau, the Slovenian Styrian Golding and the Alsacian Strisselspalt. These hops are used to flavour Orval beer."

Back