Hallertau Hops differences etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
So I'm at the brewstore today and I'm trying to get some ingredients and usually just get the Hallertau Leaf Hops from NB for my batches, but I didn't want to order online and this shop has all the grains I need. I forgot they don't carry Hallertau Leaf Hops. Well upon this transaction when faced with the choice of pellets they asked what kind of Hallertau pellets I wanted... and I got Mittlebru but I said well the Mifflebrau or whatever it was last time... I felt like a real mutt, so I'm asking what the **** is the difference and what was my other choice. Am I bugging because I want the leaf hops vs. the pellets?

I've never heard of Mittlebru or Mifflebrau. Leaf hops go bad (oxidize) much more quickly than pellets, so unless they're very fresh, which is something I haven't seen much in homebrew stores, you should use pellets.

The Hallertau hop issue is a rather complex question and you are better to look it up in the Wiki which covers the question very well. (There are at least a half dozen different "Hallertau" named hops)
As to the notion of leaf vs pellet that is a matter of opinion. I use a lot of leaf because I think that I get better flavor. Pellet are by far considered much easier to use. You will come to have your own opinion if you stick with it long enough.

Hallertauer (GR) 3-5% Clean Noble hop, mild aroma, slightly fruity, spicy, flowery, haylike.

Hallertauer (US) 3.5-5.5% Very mild, pleasant, slightly flowery, some spicy.

Hallertauer, Hersbrucker (GR) 1.5-5.5% Very clean, pleasant, spicy, earthy aroma.

Hallertauer, Mittelfrueh (GR) 3-5.5% Pleasant, assertive, mild herbal aroma.

Hallertauer (NZ) 8.5% Bred from Mittelfrueh with classic aroma and clean taste.

Hallertauer Tradition (GR)-Basic characteristics: Distinguished, very fine aroma hop. Lower mid Alpha. Some potential as dual purpose hop. Used for low bittering, flavoring, aroma and dry hopping. Hallertau family. Bred as more wilt disease resistant than declining Mittelfruh.

Aroma: Fine, delicate.
Substitute: Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hallertauer.
Bittering: Good with acceptable bitterness character.
Substitute: Marynka PL, Sybilla PL, Perle, Northern Brewer.
Alpha-4.0%

Back