Hop differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I am thinking of trying a recipe that is similar to a Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing. I enjoy the beer and I found what seems to be close. But, the recipe is giving me amounts for whole cone hops and I have been using Pellets for pretty much everything. How much difference is there in pellet vs whole cone? Will I get a better result from using the whole cones? Any input is greatly appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!!

somewhere on in the interwebs someone said said:
Some brewers also think whole hops are less harsh then pellets, and though there is no empirical evidence to back this up, there could be something to it.

There's a local craft brewery that (when possible) brews with local ingredients and whole hops. I feel that their beers are generally smoother (ok, less harsh). Is the packaging? or is it terrior? 🤷‍♀️. The beer is good, so I'll be back on occasion.

Pellet IBU yield has traditionally been judged to be 10% higher than whole leaf hence the former would require a commensurate reduction when used in a recipe calling for the latter...

Cheers!

Back