Half batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I want to make 10L cider in a 23L bucket using 10L of high quality supermarket juice without any unwanted preservatives and add around 800g white sugar to increase it to aproximately 10%ABV using wine yeast.

Does this all sound like it would be fine? I am a bit worried about having too much headspace.

Also do you think 10% ABV is too high for this kind of cider? I will most likely carbonate half of it.

for primary fermentation, no, not too much headspace. it's more critical for secondary fermentation

EdWort's Apfelwein is 8.5% and it is very dry. depending on the yeast, you might be pushing the limits, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. especially a wine yeast, which is a little more alcohol tolerant than an ale yeast.

for primary fermentation, no, not too much headspace. it's more critical for secondary fermentation

EdWort's Apfelwein is 8.5% and it is very dry. depending on the yeast, you might be pushing the limits, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. especially a wine yeast, which is a little more alcohol tolerant than an ale yeast.

How about in terms of flavour? Do you think 10% would be too much? It was my original plan but now I am looking around and I don't see any ciders that strong.

This is actually more of a test batch. I am thinking to try several different sweetnesses, carbonating and anything else I think of while its brewing. Hopefully will learn what works/what I like and brew a large batch to drink on a regular basis.

no, I don't think 10% is too much

I make mine with 1/2 lb of brown sugar per gallon and use 1118 wine yeast and it turns out very dry and tasty.

then I freeze concentrate it, which I estimate bumps it up to 20 to 25% abv and once it has aged, it is oh, so good.

Different strokes...

10% is approaching wine level. I think you'll find it hot and tasteless and require some months to mellow. Personally, I don't exceed 8% with a straight cider and even that is kinda boozy when young. But, to each his own.

Different strokes...

10% is approaching wine level. I think you'll find it hot and tasteless and require some months to mellow. Personally, I don't exceed 8% with a straight cider and even that is kinda boozy when young. But, to each his own.

Hmm, interesting point. I noticed my wines taste a bit... punchy when they are young, but never read anywhere anything about it. Maybe I'll drop it down a few % this time, is no way I will be able to handle waiting months to drink them :)

Hmm, interesting point. I noticed my wines taste a bit... punchy when they are young, but never read anywhere anything about it. Maybe I'll drop it down a few % this time, is no way I will be able to handle waiting months to drink them :)

There seems to be some agreement around here that the more alcohol you get the longer it takes to get the apple flavor back. Besides, a typical apple juice or cider usually ferments close to 50 gravity points which gives you 6.25% or so ABV. That's higher than commercial ciders. I add zero sugar to my ciders.

Back