Haier 5.0 chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this freezer will fit 2 ball lock kegs and a 5lb co2 tank inside without a collar? SAMs club has it up on a rack that I can't see in.

Not sure man but you can prob find the dimensions on their site.

As a reference mine is 7.2 and BARELY fits two plus the gas.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money (it is like $30 if I recall correctly) on the 7.1 that Sam's has. I am so glad I changed my mind and did at the last minute. They are the same unit except for the size of the freezer cavity (same compressor, etc.) so once collared and converted to refrigerator duty the energy usage is almost the same. I can fit four kegs and a good number of bottles with the collar, and if I only wanted three my 10# tank used to sit in it. The 5 cu ft you'd be lucky to get in your two and a 5# tank. I think it would be close enough that you would have to use ball locks...

I have a 5 CF freezer, holiday. I have a collar and fit 3 ball locks plus a 10# c02 bottle. Why do you object to installing a collar? it makes a handy place to install the taps.

I don't object to it as much as I don't want to do it right away. I'm probably going to have to. Space will be an issue with the 7.1 I think. The taps that I will want and possibly putting the co2 outside plus having room for the 2 kegs or 3 kegs and whatever else....it makes sense to do that.

I went to lowes with cardboard cutouts and they fit easily in their idylis 5.0 cu ft so I bought it and every thing fits now that I got it home.

How many does it fit? Maybe it's the shape of mine that's the problem, though I don't have a collar and don't have anything on the hump. Temp differential even with a computer fan makes me hesitant to build a collar but that would get me up to 3 kegs and the gas.

It fit the 2 ball locks and 5# co2 no problem, unconnected so far but the regulator and keg connects didn't look like it would be a problem. I even got 2 12 packs in SN bottles on the hump with what looks like room for a six pack left. I'm cold crashing the one I will keg I just need to fill my co2.

I have had tall 9-10" collars on 5 cf keezers and was never bothered with temp differential. Collars were actually 3/4 and 1" wood without insulation. This was in a basement using picnic taps stored on top of the kegs w 6' of beer line. IME the amount of beer in the line is negligible and beer is fed from the cold bottom of the keezer.

Now perhaps using heavy metal shanks and taps, with the keezer in a warmer location could be problematic idk.

I actually placed an empty box cooler in the lower part of the freezer floor to keep all the kegs at the same higher level.

I don't object to it as much as I don't want to do it right away. I'm probably going to have to. Space will be an issue with the 7.1 I think. The taps that I will want and possibly putting the co2 outside plus having room for the 2 kegs or 3 kegs and whatever else....it makes sense to do that.

the collar is actually really simple.

1. Unscrew the hinges from the back of the freezer (so you remove the lid with the hinges attached)

2. Cut 4 2x6's so the outer edge aligns with the exterior of the freezer and the lid sits down in the top of the collar with the lid seals in contact with the collar

3. Screw the 4 corners together

4. use silicone adhesive sealant to secure the collar to the freezer

5. screw the lid hinges to the top of the collar.

When I bought my shanks they were too long, so I ended up putting a shim between the outside face of the collar and the tap bezels to bring the shanks forward and reduce how far they extend into the freezer. I'll eventually replace the shim with a piece of stained trim wood.

Back